Costa Atlantica Cruise Review by misand

Costa Atlantica
Member Name: misand
Cruise Date: December 2009
Cabin Category: BAL
See More About: Costa Atlantica Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
        3-6 4.0
        10-12 4.0

Ship Facts: Costa Atlantica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Atlantica Deck Plans
Wonderful Cruise
We sailed on December 19-26. This was my husband and I's 6th cruise and our children's 4th. We have been on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, NCL and MSC. We have enjoyed all of our cruises some more than others. We really enjoyed this one.

The night before we stayed at the Fairfield Inn Cruise Port. Hotel was very comfortable. We rented a car and when we returned it rode the shuttle bus to the cruise port.

Embarkation: We arrived at the ship at approximately 1:30. We would have been there earlier had our rental car shuttle bus not broke down. It ended up taking 1 ½ hours to get to the ship. Once we made it to the port. We were on our ship within 15 minutes. We used the computers to do the check in. We did have to have assistance as it was a bit confusing.

Cabin: Very nice. We had a balcony cabin on deck 5. We were in the bump out section of the ship. This was our first balcony cabins so we really didn't have anything to compare it too. Storage was good even with 4 people. The only down side was that we were told it had a pullout couch for 2, instead only one could fit and then they added a rollaway. This made the room pretty cramped at night.

Ship: Very pretty and the Atrium is beautiful.

Dining: Breakfast- Buffet was okay, the only thing to write about here was the omelet station. It was very good but I need salsa. We did order continental breakfast in the room several times which was nice. They were very punctual.

Lunch-Buffet was usually quite European. The pizza was pretty good too. They did have a grill which was pretty good (hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled chicken) and a Tex-Mex section opposite the grill. I have to give them a lot of credit they are the first ship that has done much of this (Mexican).

Dinner-We had early seating at 6:00PM. This was perfect for us. Overall I would say the main course dining was excellent. Every single beef item was wonderful. I rarely eat steak at home but had it 5 out of the 7 nights on the ship. The lobsters were pretty good size. My husband had two. They didn't have that many chicken entrees. They did have a lot of seafood (which I do not eat). My husband said the seafood was good. Appetizers weren't my favorite, again a lot of seafood. Soups pretty good, I loved the Butternut Squash soup (reminded me of potato), Garlic bisque was also good. The cold soups were not very sweet so I sometimes added sweetener. The Caesar salad is a must. I had this almost every night. Every pasta dish tasted homemade. My husband and daughter thought the fettuccini alfredo was the absolute best in the world. Desserts were okay, the ice cream was great. We really enjoyed all of the entertainment at the end of dinner. The wait staff was really entertaining. I believe they did some kind of dance or song about 4 out of 7 nights.

Entertainment: I thought the shows were great. I actually stayed awake through them which I don't usually do after eating such a big meal. They also had a lot of evening activities. Most of the parties started at 11:30 or later. During the day we usually did they dance lessons by the pool. Kids Club: My girls(11 and 6) only went once but enjoyed it. They preferred to hang out at the pool and do dance lessons. We found the program for the kids area a bit confusing. Many parents were raving about the kids club. They did have good hours.

Ports: St. Thomas-Wonderful, we did the Jollymon sailboat. We booked a private excursion for just the 4 of us. It was out of this world. Gail and her daughter were wonderful. We snorkeled and saw so many fish and turtles. This was my daughters first time snorkeling, they are 6 and 11. They really liked it. Lunch was prepared on the boat; it consisted of jerk chicken, wonderful rice, plantains, avocado and wonderful garlic bread. We snorkeled some more at a different location after lunch. Once back on board they had homemade cookies ready for us. I can't say enough about the Jollymon. Highly recommend it!!!!

Puerto Rico-We did our own tour, using the free trolley. We went to both forts and explored for several hours. On the way back we walked through town and found a wonderful Mexican Restaurant called TIO DANNY'S. The nachos were super and the burrito filled up and entire plate. I have never seen anything like it.

Grand Turk-Very relaxing day, we just hung out by the pool and Margaritaville.

Overall I would definitely recommend this ship. No doubt I will sail Costa again in the future.

Publication Date: 02/05/10