Grand Princess Cruise Review by robo1234

Cruise Date: January 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: out
Cabin Number: E109
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Outstanding Itenerary
I have read some of the negative reviews and, while I understand that some people just can not be pleased, I wanted to set the record straight.

This is a great cruise line and and great ship. The embarkation was amazing. I arrived at noon, and was scanned, processed, and in my room by 12:15. The ship had recently been refurbished and it showed. It was clean, polished, and in perfect form. The service on board was impeccable, with crew members calling me by name by the 2nd day. The only quarrel I had was with the excursion staff. Their help, while adequate, had no real warmth or desire to help. It was, in a word, perfunctory. The room steward was fantastic and his desire to please was obvious from day one. The gym could use some updating, as equipment was adequate, but just barely. The lido breakfast and lunch areas [I did not use the dining room for these meals] was always clean, foods was varied, and very pleasantly presented. The ports of call, which is what drew me to this cruise were great.

My one disappointment was the substitution of San Juan, Puerto Rico for Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. I had called Princess 2 weeks prior to sailing, as I had heard that we would not be going there. The Princess agent assured me that there had not been a change. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said she'd check to make certain. After checking, she also confirmed there had not been a change. When I got on board, the purser said the change had been made several months ago. I was disappointed, particularly since a management employee had told me otherwise just 2 weeks ago. The food, both in Lido, as well in the restaurants was always superb and with great variety Food staff was excellent. Entertainment was great, particularly the 4 production numbers which, I thought equal to most I've seen on Broadway. I saw them all twice. The energy and sets were terrific. I had elected to disembark with my luggage with me. The told me hat disembarkation for me would be 7:30 AM. I was off, went through customs and was on my hotel shuttle service by 7:40. Despite the few minor criticisms, I rate the cruise very enjoyable and very well done by officers and crew.

Publication Date: 02/05/10