“Carnival Freedom very impressed, except for the food”
Cruise review of Carnival Freedom

Christy19 Carnival Freedom 5 Carnival Freedom very impressed, except for the food
Christy19
Member Since 2010
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was my second Carnival Cruise. We cruised to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios (1/23/2010 - 1/30/2010). We went down a day early and stayed in the Days Inn in Oak Park. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!! The price was cheap for a reason. It seemed very unsafe. The hotel was filthy and the cleaning staff stood in the hallway hollering back and forth to each other.

We rented a car and drove to the port on Sunday. It was great. We got the car from Thrifty rental at the Ft. Lauderdale airport and returned it to their facility just outside the gate to the Port. Thrifty then shuttled us right to our ship.

The Carnival Freedom was a larger ship than the Sensation which was my first Carnival experience. Despite there being many more people than on the Sensation, I didn't see any difference in the amount of wait time for meals, embarkation or debarkation. The crew did an excellent job handling the crowds. I was very impressed with how smoothly the debarkation went.

The ship was extremely clean! Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Our room steward, Fro, was fantastic. I sprained my ankle in Key West (our first port!!). Fro always made sure that we had ice in our room so I could ice my ankle. (what a sweetheart.) We had a veranda room on deck 7 mid ship. I recommend paying the extra money for the veranda it was wonderful!

The voyage was very rocky, the ship swayed back and forth a lot. I heard that the seas are rough in January. Several people were wearing Sea sickness patches. My last cruise was in the month of April and I didn't notice the movement of the ship at all.

The only complaint that I have is the food. It was rather tasteless. The food on the Lido deck buffet was usually lukewarm. One day, the fried chicken was undercooked (disgusting)! The other food available, deli, pizza, and hamburgers, was very good. The food in the Posh was tasteless but at least it was hot. The food service staff was very friendly and helpful.

Despite the food quality, I would cruise Carnival again. I think it was a good value.

Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

7343
The balcony was great. Location was very quiet and was close to the laundry room and elevators. It was very roomy. We had a great view to watch the ship dock at the ports. Bed was very comfortable.

We felt very safe. It was extremely crowded. Unless you are there to buy jewelry the shopping is very limited. We did get a great price on liquor in the Tortuga liquor store, it was half the price of what we pay at home. We went on the Carnival beginning scuba diving excursion. It was $120 per person. I thought it was a rip off. We spent an hour in a lecture then 1 hour in a swimming pool and only 30 minutes in the ocean!!! The guy who was running the lessons was very grouchy. I wouldn't recommend this excursion.

Port
Very nice but nothing special for us. Several passengers had a great time because they went into the bars and partied. We weren't in the mood for that so we just shopped. No bargains to be found.

Read 1,115 Key West Reviews
Port
This was my favorite port on this cruise. Ocho Rios is beautiful. It is very mountainous, which is not what I expected. We just did the sky explorer chair lift excursion. It was very nice. The shopping was pretty good we got some good bargains. They will bargain with you. The clerks were a little pushy but I would just say no and they left me alone. The shopping area was surrounded by a fence and had guards all around. That was a little unnerving but at least I felt safe with the police everywhere.

Published 02/02/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Freedom Review
Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?