Carnival Victory Cruise Review by cruisegirl29: Cruisin Into 40! Carnival Victory January 17, 2010 THE BEST!

cruisegirl29
Member Since 2003

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Cruisin Into 40! Carnival Victory January 17, 2010 THE BEST!

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

I want to start of by telling you a little bit about my cruise experiences. I have been on 14 cruises not all on Carnival. In Jan 2008, I took the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan, PR & did this same 7 day cruise. When I returned home I knew I wanted to plan this cruise again for my upcoming 40th birthday. So in March of 2008, I booked a group cruise through my travel agency (I'm a TA). My group of 34 friends & family couldn't wait to set sail on Jan 17th.

Most of us flew into San Juan, PR on Saturday, Jan 16, 2010. Flights were good & we received out luggage. We took a taxi to our hotel (Le Consulat) in Coronado, Puerto Rico. It was a very small boutique hotel. It was very clean & allowed us 6 persons to a room. Plenty of room with 2 double beds & a pullout sofa. We were able to book the mature rate and paid $170. This worked out to be $35.00 per person. You can't find another place in Puerto Rico for that kind of price. There was a outdoor pool with More chairs & tables to sit by. Only 2 blocks to the beach & many restaurants & shopping near by. The La Concha hotel is about 1 block away. We felt totally safe walking around in the evenings. Excellent hotel front desk staff. We also stayed here 1 night post cruise on Jan 24, 2010 and the hotel staff stored our luggage for us until out rooms were available. San Juan, Puerto Rico

Jan 17, 2010

We took a taxi from our hotel to the port about noon. We went inside the terminal & made a few purchases in the duty free liquor store. Placed the items in our checked luggage & gave it to the porters. We also had a cooler with 12 pk coke, pomagrante juice & a case of water. Again no issues in receiving it on board.

We proceed to the check in area. It was very busy during this time. I like to get to the port about 10:30am so I don't have to wait in line but we just didn't make it in time. So we waited about an hour until we were finally on board.

Our rooms were not available until about 1:30. They keep the metal doors closed so you cannot enter the hallways of the cabins. Once all the cabins have been cleaned you will then be allowed access into your cabin. We had lunch on the Lido Deck after boarding. They have plenty of items to choose from such as: salad bar, Asian food, pastas, burgers, hot dogs, pizza, made to order sandwiches, wraps, desserts, ice cream, etc. Free beverages: ice tea, lemonade, coffee, & water. Again no complaints regarding the food quality or quantity.

After lunch we got off the ship to enjoy old San Juan as they were having their annual San Sebastian Festival. It's a street festival that involve locals. Craft market, street parades, music, drinking in the streets. It's a huge party. So crowded at one point you couldn't move. It was crazy! I also tried Gasolina (drink in a juice box). They were 3 for $5.00. $99 cent local beers as well. Plenty of drinking going on! I planned this cruise all around this festival & enjoyed it as well.

After the street festival we walked & shopped around a bit. We always hit the Marshall's dept store while we are there. They have some good prices & my husband always finds something to buy.

We decided to head back to the ship earlier than the required time of 8:30pm. Dinner seating was available anytime up till 9pm. The food was outstanding the entire week. So I'm not going to comment on this. The muster drill was easy as you no longer have to wear your life vest. When you hear the instructions over the intercom system you proceed to your station. Your station letter is right on your sign & sale card. The whole drill was less than 15 min long. They no longer call off each room number so again much easier than past cruises.

After the drill, we headed up to the lido deck for the sail-a-way party. This particular crowd on this weeks cruise was very active in getting into the nightlife. Plenty of entertainment, shows, comedians, piano bar, casino, disco, lido deck parties. They even featured movies on the lido deck at 1:30 am.

Weather: PERFECT!!! It was hot, sunny & in the 80's everyday. Just perfect. Calm seas too. Truly perfect. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Upper 6332

Inside cabin # 6332 Just above the Casino. I could faintly here some of the slot machines at night while trying to fall asleep. It was so faint that it's probably hardly worth mentioning. Good midship location. Quiet location.

Barbados-

Another island I have been to numerous times. I love this port. Nice locals & fantastic beaches.

A group of 10 of us took a taxi to Rockley/Accra Beach. We walked out to the street to negotiate a price of $5.00 per person. Normal rate is $7.50. We piled into the van & headed towards the beach. I'll tell you these people drive crazy! LOL At arrival to Rockley beach, we proceeded down to the waters edge & got some beach chairs for 5.00 each. We had drinks at Chicken George. It's a beach bar there. They were tasty. The water is crystal clear & the beach sand is soft with a slightly pink hue to it. This is one of my favorite public beaches in the Caribbean. It was hot & sunny and the water was warm & refreshing. If you want a good beach, drinks, etc go here. You can walk the beach to a boardwalk & continue it down to the Hilton if you feel you need to get some exercise. On our return to the ship, there was plenty of taxi's waiting for us.

At the port, we did a little shopping before boarding.

Read 701 Barbados Reviews

Dominica

This was our 3rd or 4th visit to Dominica. This was the most anticipated stop for me. I booked several weeks before leaving on the cruise a private tour for the day with Woody Dominica. This was by far the best tour out of 14 cruises or out of 95+ days of cruising. Simply the BEST!

Don't miss out on this tour if your planning on visiting Dominica.

Our day began with meeting Woody at the pier. He was waiting on the street next to the Royal Canada(I think) bank. He had a sign held high up so we could clearly see him. He's 6'5 so it's not so hard!! Our group of 6 & Woody proceed to his Land Rover Defender. Seating was 4 inside & 2 outside. He showed us a map of where he would be taking us for the day. We made many stops for photo ops & he was full of knowledge. We beat the crowd to Jaco falls & had some nice pictures taken there as well. We never felt rushed just took our time looking around. There was a guy there offering fresh fruits, sugar cane, etc. you could enjoy & donations were accepted. At this point we were ready for Woody's homemade rum punch! He also had local beer, 2 bottle of wine (at our request), water, fruits & homemade breads. Again along the way he always showed us on a map of our next stop. Once we got by the river tubing area, he told us this is the final place that the cruise lines will stop their tours. It was nice to know that we wouldn't be seeing anyone else until we got back to the ship! My favorite stop- he took us down a steep path (off roading) down to a secluded beach.I have to say it was beautiful. Paradise. We had 1 1/2 hours there to swim, play, eat & drink. There was only 2 other people on the beach that are locals & they come this beach everyday. Woody took time out to talk to us, swim, take pictures. It was a perfect day in paradise. We left the beach the same way we came (off roading). We stopped a few more times for some history & photo ops. When we returned to the port it was sad to say our goodbyes but I know we'll be friends forever. He is a gentleman, professional, kind, knowledgeable, and handsome too! I just can't say enough about our day with him. You would be amazed at how reasonable his tour cost is. Carnival has a port rating with 5+ being the highest. I'm telling you this was a 10+ rated tour.

Check it out under the boards & thread. Or visit: http://woodydominica.shutterfly.com/

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

St Kitts

Another beautiful port of call. We have been here one other time so we felt we just needed a nice relaxing day. The port area is built up by the cruise lines & is full of bars & shopping. Behind the shopping area there are local vendors so make sure to go there! Much cheaper to shop & your supporting the locals!

Some of our group went to Friars Beach. They had a great time there but watch out for a drink called Sand Dollar. Very good & strong. As the locals say it will cut you off at your knees! LOL

There is plenty of good tours to do here as well.

St Lucia

This was our first visit to St Lucia. I had pre booked a private island tour for 29 of us with Serenity Tours. We had 2 vans & a private car. We had 6 tour guides for our group. They picked us up on time right at the port. We traveled up & down windy roads & stopped for many photo ops. Some site we saw were: Snake man, Pitons, Waterfalls, Rum Distillery.The highlight for me was the drive-in volcano. This was something not to be missed. Just amazing. We had a wonderful buffet lunch at the Beacon overlooking the Pitons. It featured local cuisine & beautiful views.

I would highly recommend booking with Serenity. They have many tours to choose from but for our first visit I choose to see as much of St Lucia as I could. Serenity tour guides are professional, kind & knowledgeable. You won't regret booking with this tour operator!

St Maarten/St Martin

We love this island also. We docked just outside of Phillpsburg. The port area is again built up by the cruise lines. There is easy access via the water taxi to Phillipsburg & it is only $6.00 all day use. We proceeded to the taxi area as we were headed to Orient Beach for the day. The taxi fare is a set rate so there is not much negotiating. I think it was $6.00 per person one way.

We arrived Orient beach at Bikini Beach bar. We walked toward Club Orient & found a place to lounge for the day. $5.00 for chair rental including an umbrella. Plenty of places to order food & drinks also. The water here is also crystal clear. Warm water & soft sand. Plenty of activity & it was very busy. It is a topless beach so if you can't handle it stay away. Future down the beach you'll find Club Orient which is a nudist resort. You will find peeps walking the beach without clothing or tops on as well. Again if your easily offended don't come here. It was again another perfect day at a beach. Taxi was easy to find for our return trip to the port. We had a few more drinks prior to boarding the ship.

St Thomas

We awoke to beautiful sunny skies & hot air. We have been to St Thomas many times before. It is very beautiful. We love St John as well but decided we were tired & wanted to rest on the lido deck. We did get off the ship & do a bit of shopping right at the port.

Other's in my group: Snorkeling at Coki Beach Paradise Point Shopping downtown

They all had a great day enjoying St Thomas.

Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews