Carnival Dream Cruise Review by FrogFritter

Cruise Date: January 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 6A

Wonderful time Dreaming in the Caribbean
This was my 5th cruise, 2nd on Carnival. I traveled with a group of 9, aged 32-64. We arrived the day before and stayed at the Radisson Resort. Went to the beach, had lunch at the Sand Bar, did some shopping, had an enjoyable dinner at Fishlips. Took the shuttle in the morning and were on the ship and sipping DODs in no time. Embarkation was simple and fast.

Cabin - stayed in 2497 ocean view aft. The cabin was smaller than I others I have stayed in - I think it was the configuration of the beds. No biggie - I don't stay in the room too much anyway. We had lots of treats in the bathroom - razors, toothpaste, Pepcid AC, Tylenol PM, ans dental floss. I would however, never book an aft room again. I had trouble falling and staying asleep due to the movement and noise. But hey, I am on vacation - didn't need to sleep anyway, right?

Room Steward - had Mohammed - he was wonderful. He knew our routine after the first night, ice bucket was always full and he addressed us by name when he saw us.

Dining - we chose Anytime Dining and ate in the Crimson DR. We had Wichit and his crew the 1st night and requested them every night. We all looked forward to dining each night due to our waiter. He was funny and got to know us. We were unable to get him 1 time - no biggie. We only had a pager once and we waited 30 minutes. Gave us time to look at the photos right outside the DR. Would definitely choose this option again. I only ate at the buffet twice - once on the 1st day for lunch and once on a sea day for breakfast. I definitely prefer the MDR. I especially loved the new brunch. I did try the Pasta Bar - loved it and had minimal wait. Also tried the deli, pizza and grill a few times - good for a quick snack. Didn't have time to try sushi, Mongolian grill or burrito bar.

Food - I enjoyed it. The best part was I didn't have to do anything but show up to eat.

Casino - spent way too much time here - I lost a lot, won a little. That's why they call it gambling! I did the slot tournament once, played the slots and some tables. Staff was great and the casino is nice.

Entertainment - went to see Michael Macy in the comedy show - he was very funny and not bad to look at either. Went to the Piano Bar a few times and Barry is hilarious. It is amazing what he and some alcohol can get people to do. Very entertaining!! I tried to watch karaoke a few times, but there were always kids singing - not my thing so I didn't try again. VooDoo was excellent. The best singing on the ship, IMO.

Shows - I normally don't go to shows, but chose to see Dancing in the Streets based on the recommendations on the boards. So glad I did - I loved it. It is a must see! Also went to Legends because we met Johnny (Frank Sinatra) and his wonderful wife at breakfast and promised to go. It was good and Johnny totally stole the show. So glad I didn't miss it.

Staff - always helpful, smiling and pleasant.

Spa & Gym & Serenity & Internet Cafe & Laser Show - didn't experience any of these.

Sea Days - we were on the Lido by 8:30am and went to the aft. There was never anyone there at this time. We sat in the same chairs all 3 days and had the same neighbors too - this was great and we met some wonderful people. Also used the hot tubs back there - never crowded. Actually, never saw any kids on this end either. Would definitely recommend heading right to the aft if you want some sun. Did not experience "chair hogs" at all.

Fellow passengers - We met some great people on this cruise. Encountered a few complainers of course. Who cares if there is a black mark on your curtains? I don't even remember what color mine were. I guess there were some fist fights on this sailing over seats in the show room, but I missed them. Crazy!! Who has time to fight on vacation? The children on this sailing must have been having a good time at Camp Carnival because I didn't see too many of them.

Cozumel - have been here many times before so we just shopped and went to Carlos & Charlie's. Had a great time. Weather was warm, but over cast. I think the water excursions were cancelled.

Roatan - booked an excursion with Victor Bodden along with 100+ from my CC roll call. We went to a beach resort, went to a restaurant, played with the monkeys, and toured the cameo factory. Our guide, Leona was wonderful and very informative. The monkeys were the highlight of the day.

Belize - there were 20 of us from the roll call that booked ATV and cave tubing. It was a long day but fun. The ATV riding was a blast and so glad we decided to do it. Lots of laughs and lots of mud. Our guides were Richard, Byron and Jimmy. They were all great.

Costa Maya - we were unable to dock due to the high winds. I was really looking forward to a relaxing beach day, but got some sun on Lido deck instead. Certainly didn't ruin my cruise.

Debarkation - plenty of places to wait for your number to be called and it moved pretty fast. The only glitch in this vacation was retrieving my luggage. I could not find my suitcase - someone else took it by mistake. To make a long story short - the people realized they had my luggage before they boarded their flight so I got it back when I arrived at the airport. TIP - put a cell phone number on your tags! A home phone number did not help in this situation.

Overall - My whole group had a great time on this cruise. I would sail Carnival and this ship again in a second.

Publication Date: 02/01/10