Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Jerry of San Francisco: Atlantis

Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Atlantis

Sail Date: January 2010

The Atlantis Experience - The nice thing about a gay cruise is there is more entertainment than a straight cruise. While the entertainment was a mixed bag, most was rewarding.

The Food - The Liberty of the Seas food is not much different than other cruise lines, serving what I call cruise ship food. It could be bad to good. I found more choices on Holland America. The free ice cream machine was nice near the pool. The diner was not very good serving greasy American diner fare. The menu in the very grand dining room was always a disappointment as food described on the menu seldom matched what it was meant to be. What seems to work best are the basics like steaks.

The Ship - The promenade in the middle of the ship was a wonder with shops and restaurants lining the way. There is an old fashioned barber shop, English pub, wine bar, clothing stores and more. The walk is several stories high with some of the cabins that look out onto the "main street". I was not sure how More I would like this large ship but was very pleased. Our cabin was at the front of the ship and the walk to the dining room was quite long. Maybe future big ships will have a horizontal elevator!

The seas were calm and we rarely felt the movement of the sea, a big plus for me as I suffer from motion sickness.

We found the cabin to be quiet. It was nice having a 2 seater sofa. I found the table unnecessary. the flat panel television was nice. Bathroom was small but very serviceable - we had to share the one cabinet. Though it was at the front of the ship we did not have a problem with motion - the Caribbean was calm on this trip. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 7523

The main draw for me in Cozumel was a visit to the Mayan pyramids. I chose Chichen Itza to visit. For this trip we took a 30 minute ride on a modern ferry to the mainland. There we met our air conditioned tour bus to the ruins. Please note it is a 6 hour round trip on the bus. We were given 2 box lunches, each with the same food: tuna in a foil packet, a tiny mayonnaise and pickle packet, a muffin, a fruit cup and juice. If one does not like tuna they were out of luck. Trying to mix the tuna with mayonnaise on a moving bus was less than a desirable experience. We were told to use the toilet on the bus only in an emergency and then only to #1! If #2, we could go on the side of the road and was told to watch out for snakes!

At Chichen Itza there are vendors serving food and drink, but be prepared to spend $3 for a coke. As it gets closer to the closing time of the site prices for souvenirs get cheaper.

Read 3122 Cozumel Reviews

I took a 7 mile bicycle tour. The island is very flat, the highest point being 45 feet above sea level. Georgetown is a pleasant small town. There is not much to see in the area. If one is not into the beach activities or shopping it could be boring. We did visit the town of Hell and I did not find Hell to be particularly exciting.