Celebrity Century Cruise Review by melvinwiggles: Century is still a great ship

1 Post

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Western Caribbean Cruises

Century is still a great ship

Sail Date: January 2010

I just returned from a 5 night cruise on Century that embarked January 23 from Miami. This was my fourth cruise and the first cruise along with my wife since our now 2 year old daughter was born. Celebrity has the boarding and embarkation process down to a science. I have waited for hours to board a ship with other cruise lines; from leaving a taxi and handing off the luggage we were on board the Century with a two year old in 15 minutes.

This ship is older but I have a sweet spot for it. This was my second cruise on the Century and my wife's third. The Century is kept up very well and the size gives it a warmer feel than the huge Royal Caribbean ships I have been on. This ship is immaculate, staterooms are still beautiful and clean, and everything is in perfect working order.

The crew of the Century is amazing. There is never a time where I felt I was imposing on anyone or asking for anything that was any trouble. They go out of their way to make you feel good and More accomodate any request. Every crew member we passed smiled and had a kind word for our child. Our stateroom attendant did not miss any detail and our dining room waiter was fantastic. I really can't say enough nice things and can't begin to imagine how hard everyone must work to keep the show going.

The only negatives I can conjure are just really observations. Restaurant staff seem to be working much harder, and I can only imagine it is due to staff cutbacks. My wife and I also remember sailing on this ship and there was always a live band out at the pool playing Caribbean music and a staff member to bring you a drink no matter where you were poolside. The music left a little something to be desired this time around and if you wanted a drink you were going to be taking a trip to the bar because no staff is walking around taking drink orders anymore.

Great ship, check it out. Tip your waiter, your bartenders and your stateroom attendant a little something extra in cash if you can. These guys and girls are busting their ass and don't get to spend their days at port or see their families very often. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Awesome. Very laid back and friendly place. Postcard picture alive all around you. This was my second time in Grand Cayman and I went to 7 mile beach. The weather was hot but we decided to walk to it from the port (to work off some of those breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts we'd been eating) and it wasn't that bad. With a kid it was a little tiring but if you're alone or all adults it's easy. Beach was a little crowded due to 5 ships all in at once but we still got a spot and the scenery/beach/water was very nice. I've also been to Rum Point on a prior cruise and I can't say how beautiful that place is. If you can find a shore excursion out that way don't hesitate.

Just stay on the ship. Go to the spa. Have drinks all day. Please, for the love of God, don't go to Ocho Rios. Matter of fact, Celebrity, if you are reading this... will you please stop taking people there? This is not a safe place to be and if you leave the ship without taking a shore excursion (and sometimes even if you do take a shore excursion) you will be menaced, threatened, and hassled until you give up, turn around, and walk back to the ship. This is the second time I tried to walk around Ocho Rios and this time I made it three or four blocks with my family before I grabbed my wife and child and headed back to port. They heckle you, they stalk you, they walk along side you and try to force you into their little tents and huts to take your money... again, this is not a safe place. I'm from Kensington, Philadelphia for God's sake and I am telling you that Ocho Rios is not a good place.