Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by houstoncruisers2001: Another GREAT Voyager Cruise!!!!

houstoncruisers2001
Member Since 2004
4,233 Posts

Compare Prices on Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Another GREAT Voyager Cruise!!!!

Sail Date: January 2010
Embarkation: Galveston

On 1/17/10 we arrived at the cruise terminal around 10:30AM and traffic was lighter than usual near the terminal. I expected it to be worse. Traveling in a group on 21 we waited for a few late arrivals, some who have never cruised before then we entered the terminal together. There was a short line through security and no line at the counter to get our cruise cards. Of course, we waited for a while until it was time to board. I think we were on by noon, but cabins weren't ready until 1PM. Off to the Windjammer we went.

We had an aft balcony on deck 7. Cabin number was 7390. We liked our aft cabin a lot. Some cruisers hate the long walk to the elevators, I did not and I walked it a million times. We found the aft peaceful and our balcony was big, 11 by 11. Loved the wake behind the ship. There was a vibration in the aft, but not enough to bother us. Slight view obstruction due to ship's design, but no big deal. We booked the aft corner balcony, cabin number 7388 for next year More because we liked it back there so much. Patty from St Vincent was our steward and she was great. Nice lady. Note: RCCL has shower doors instead of curtains which is nice. We always wish there was a bit more storage space in all of our cabins and this time was no different. We always bring too much, however I did forget to bring my black suit pants and i had to wear blue pants with my black suit coat on formal nights. Wife forgot her reading glasses and couldn't read the dining room menu. Nine cruises and we still make rookie mistakes.

We had late seating at table 343 in the Carmen Dining Room. Lauro from the Philippines was our waiter. Nice guy, but sort of shy and not real entertaining. Not the best waiter we've ever had, but not the worst. His assistant was Alejando from Croatia. He was new, but tried hard. I rate the food pretty high and I enjoyed dinner every night. Soups were good, the salad was good size(Carnival's salads were tiny) and the main course tasted great. I was happy with everything except for the NY Strip Steak I had on the last night. They had A1 steak sauce not Heinz 57, which I prefer, so maybe that was the problem.

Our experience on board was great. We used the pools & hot tubs a lot. The kids did everything from rock climbing to ice skating to shuffleboard on deck 4. Loved stopping in the Promenade Cafe for coffee and a light lunch. We attended all the shows and the ice show. It was basically the same ice show we saw two years ago, but I'd go see it two years from now too. My wife & I closed down "High Notes" on deck 14 on numerous nights when the band Synergy played. The disco was dead. Mike, the cruise director, was a funny guy. I mean, really funny. Karaoke was lame. Even the finals were bad. Usually we find it very entertaining. Skipped Johnny Rockets & Portofino's this trip. but have done them before. I thought RCCL did a good job of monitoring the kids on board. The kids were always coming up to us and saying that they needed adult supervision to do a certain activity. We never used the fitness center or the spa, except for the large hot tub. The drinks prices keep rising. $27 for a bucket of five Coronas. I thought the best deal was the beer on draft, the big draft of either Heineken or Amstel Light. As on all cruises, they really push the drink of the day.

One more thing. We travelled with a burn victim in our group. He's a 14 year old boy who was burned very badly two years ago in an out of control bonfire. He has had 58 surgeries, has no hands and his body, including his face is totally scarred. He had never been in a formal dining room setting or on a cruise ship. Royal Caribbean did an OUTSTANDING job of making him feel welcomed. The staff & crew were FANTASTIC. Lauro, our waiter even cut Josh's steak for him every night. My fellow cruisers went out of their way to be nice to him too. I thank you all for that. Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7390

We have been to Cozumel many times. This time we just stayed in the port area. The wife shopped and I drank beer. Some of my group did the dolphin thing and had a great time. Others rented a jeep and went to the other side of the island. By the end of the day we all ended up at Senor Frogs by the pier like everyone else seems to do. I tried not to spend my whole paycheck there so we didn't go crazy. In the past we've been to Paradise Beach & Mr. Sancho's Beach and enjoyed both of them. I enjoyed the day, but I usually do when beer is involved.

Read 3122 Cozumel Reviews

We've also been to Grand Cayman many times and dread the tendering part. Seems we always get stuck on the ship waiting & waiting to get off. Not this time. I got my butt up and when and got tender tickets right away. I was shocked that the line was short and I ended up with tickets for tender boat 2. Once on shore, we took a $5 per person van ride to Sea Grape Beach. Made arrangements for the same driver to come back and pick us up later. We love Seven Mile Beach. I haven't done anything on Grand Cayman besides go there. Been there 5 or 6 times. Thank goodness they have those little cabana things for it gets hot there real quick. We never pay to rent a chair or an umbrella, we just plop our stuff down in the free shelter and jump in the beautiful water. Later we shopped in the port area near the tender boats. The port area has been built up since the last time i was there with a lot of new shops.

This was our second trip to Montego Bay and both times we went to Sunset Beach. The price jumped from $40 per adult to $60 per adult, but we knew that ahead of time. All kids over 12 will be charged an adult price. I thought that was a little steep for a kid. Children 12 and under were $30.

As for Sunset Beach, we like the fact that it's 5 minutes from the ship and a $3 van ride per person each way. Sunset will never be mistaken for a 5 Star resort. To me, it seemed slightly worse for wear than the last time I was there two years ago. It's getting rough around the edges, but still fun. Being in a large group I thought it was the safest and easiest place to go. The grounds for the most part are nice. Big pools, one with a swim up bar. The water park, though fun for kids, had a broken hot tub that a worker told me has been broke for months. I did the "lazy river" a couple of times with a cup of Red Stripe beer in each hand so I was content. Our group played beach volleyball, used the water toys, enjoyed the lunch buffet & grill and learned some dances by the pool. The kids enjoyed the virgin drinks and they spent the day either in the pool or at the beach. The beach itself is not the caliber of Seven Mile Beach or of any of the Mexican beaches. At the far end of the property is actually a nude beach. It's paneled off from the rest of the resort and is nowhere near the kids area. From what I saw, it's not used much. Last time I was there it was empty and this time I saw only two people way off in the distance in their birthday suits.

Overall, I'd pay $60 to go back mainly because of the drinks & the buffet. I doubt I'd pay $75 though. I think non-drinkers or light drinkers or families with a lot of young teenagers might want to look elsewhere based on the price.