Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by iatigger: Freedom of the Seas a midwest winter escape!

iatigger
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Freedom of the Seas a midwest winter escape!

Sail Date: January 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This being our 2nd cruise in 10 years I was anxious to see what had changed. I was not disappointed. Our cabin was perfect for 3 of us. Loved the balcony that looked out the aft of the ship and the layout of the room was wide instead of narrow. Never felt like we were in a box.

There were several times where it rained during the cruise so instead of going inside we put on our swimsuits and got in one of 6 hot tubs to enjoy the warm air which we had escaped to from the cold midwest winter.

My daughter who is 9 joined the Adventure Ocean group and loved it!! The staff was great and they kept the kids busy the whole time she was there. We went to give her a message one day and she came over mad because she thought we were going to make her leave. Great Job with this group RCCL!

We attended the ice show one day. It is amazing what the skaters can do on a moving rink. Great dancing unfortunately the ice was not totally set in one spot and it caused a few falls More but they kept on without hesitation.

Drew Thomas Magic was a show you would expect to pay big bucks to see. I am still trying to figure out how he was able to do all the tricks. The Royal Caribbean dancers and singers add a whole new dimension to this show as well.

Flow Rider is awesome! One night we paid for a lesson since we wanted a little more guidance before sacrificing our bodies to the 35mph waters. The staff were very helpful. The next day all of us were boogie boarding and my husband even braved the surf board as well.

We ate breakfast in the Windjammer just so we could get in and out without waiting for anyone. The nights we ate in the dining room using My Time Dining we ended up getting the same table each night by the window with the same wait staff which was nice. Food was excellent! One night when we felt like staying dressed casual we went to Johnny Rockets. You get unlimited fries and onion rings while you wait for your main course. It was a fun atmosphere.

It was fun to meet up with other Cruise Critic members the first couple days and chat with them over the course of the cruise.

We did the luggage valet offered on the ship and highly recommend this if you have to fly out of Orlando. When we debarked we got to walk past all the people standing around waiting to find their luggage. Just jumped on the shuttle and then when in Orlando we were free to wander without having to check in or haul luggage around.

Highly recommend Freedom of the Seas!! Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 1400

This cabin is a best kept secret. The balcony is large and has an awesome view. The ports where we docked we backed in so we had an excellent view right from our cabin. The room is wider than normal because it is on the aft corner of the ship making it feel very roomy compared to the long narrow ones. Very quiet location. Highly recommended!

We went on the Xrails to Jade Cavern excursion. You get in a off road vehicle and drive down rough and bumpy paths through the jungle. It was awesome! Not for people with bad backs however. Then you come to a stop and they explain about Jade Cavern. You walk down steps to the Cenote (sink hole) and see the jade colored water and stalactites. Next you are jumping into the water and looking up at them and a few bats hanging from the ceiling. Then we are swimming toward a small opening big enough to fit your head through without getting wet and you follow a rope through the water into pitch blackness. I happened to have a camera with a flash and while in the cave was able to light it up long enough to see how big it was inside. After we got out of the water one of the guides took some of the people up to the rim of the cavern and they jumped in. It was an overall incredible experience and I highly recommend it if you like to get dusty and dirty and feel the rush from flying down a dirt path.

Read 3105 Cozumel Reviews

We went on the Sea Trek Helmet Dive excursion. This departs from Hammerheads restaurant. After a short boat ride out to another pontoon boat you get in the water and they put a 75lb helmet on your head. It sounds heavy but as soon as you descend the ladder to the bottom of the sea around 35ft below you don't even notice the weight. I never felt uneasy during the dive. There were a couple people in scuba gear watching the group as well as a guide in a helmet who was showing us different under sea creatures. He would give us fish food and a school of fish would cover your helmet. Incredible. He was quite acrobatic as well. Awesome excursion for those who don't have the time or money to learn how to scuba dive.

After that excursion we shopped at EFFY Jewelers which we had heard about from the port shopping expert. Had a wonderful experience here. Make sure you check with the ship shopping expert for VIP cards so you get the biggest available discount before shopping.

Next we were off to the Pirate Encounter excursion. After a short tender to a pirate ship anchored in the bay we were off cruising around the Freedom of the Seas. The pirate ship took some cannon shots at the ship and made fun of people watching us from their balconies. Then the fun turned to the kids on the pirate ship. They scrubbed the deck and I got myself into being tied up by the pirates and having ice water dumped on myself. All in good fun. Then they dropped the anchor and we all walked the plank into the gorgeous blue sea. We all enjoyed this trip.

We took the Fun Cruise to Dunns River Falls. You board a two decker boat that is like a bobber in rough seas. Guess what, the seas were incredibly rough that day. I would bet some of the swells were 10ft by the time we were on our return trip. Dunns River Falls was fun. Our 9yr old liked it at first until she saw a spider with "glowing eyes". I never saw it but it freaked her out the rest of the climb. The guides were very helpful telling her their spiders were friendly and wouldn't hurt her. She didn't buy it but we did make it to the top. When we walked back to the beach the natives did get a little pushy to look at their crafts but it wasn't terrible. I think we had 10 different people tell us my daughter wanted her hair braided while in Jamaica. We did not do this.

After we survived the boat ride back from the falls we walked down the main road and went to Margaritaville to get some lunch. This was a very neat place. It had a water slide that fell into a small pool on the deck of the restaurant. My daughter spent all her time going up the stairs and sliding down with a couple other kids there that day while the adults had a nice leisurely lunch.

Fortunately we were never bothered by any drug dealers or other pushy natives while on our trip into town.