Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Townie47: First time cruise on Celebrity ship

Townie47
Member Since 2010

Embarkation Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First time cruise on Celebrity ship

Sail Date: January 2010
Embarkation: San Juan

Just returned from 7 day cruise Caribbean on the Celebrity Summit. This was my first time on a Celebrity ship. I found the ship itself to be just fine. It is a little older than some other ships I have sailed. But it was very clean and everything there you might need.

The food in the main dinning room was very good with many choices that changed each night, along with some regular staples that were listed every night. The service was fine. The stateroom attendants were outstanding. The room was made up when ever you left. On prior ships if you were running late or slept in your room was not made until evening. On the Summit it was made up not long after each time we left.

We had room service each morning which was great. Food was hot and on time. Menu could have been a little more extended.

The pool area was also great. Lots of chairs, which also had padding and a towel place on it. There was also a quiet pool that was enclosed and had several hot tubs More and a large heat pool.

The only complaint I had was the Normaine Dinning room. This was a speciality dinning area (for an added cost of $35 each). The menu was sub-par with a limited selection that did not change. The service, which was the signature of this dinning room was awful. I was truly shocked at how poor it was. I had scheduled two nights but quickly canceled the second reservation. The food and service in the main dinning area was much, much better. I was also a little surprised that there was only one speciality dinning area. On prior ships there have been up to 4 or 5. But, again the food and service in the main dinning area was very, very good.

One thing I liked about the Summit was they were NOT pushing drinks on you all over the place like on other ships. If you need a drink, all you needed to do was make eye contact with a bar staff person and they would come over. There was no pestering you for drinks which I found refreshing. The drink prices were the same as other ships, with tip included. The entertainment was VERY good. Singers and dancers with Broadway reviews and sets, VERY GOOD

We did a couple of snorkeling tours which were good. I would strongly suggest the Fan-ta-sea tour out of st Croix. 6 Hours, Snorkeling, a BBQ lunch on a beach, swimming and all the bottle beer and rum drinks you could handle. Lunch was really good, the crew could not have been more helpful. Been on a lot of these snorkeling tours and this was the best over all. Not that many fish, but we were snorkeling........then drinking ! Walked to a couple of beaches near the docking area which were fine, water was clean, bath room and safe.

Boarding the ship was easy and pleasant. Getting off the ship was also easy and with problems except for the US Customs which chose to have only two officers checking people out. Lots of taxis to the airport available ($14 flat rate).

I would go back on a Celebrity ship and I return to the Summit also. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit

Being a little older ship than some of our most recent cruises, I was extremely and pleasantly surprise at the room of our balcony cabin (standard). The bath and shower was bigger than any other ship I have been on (over 20) The closets were also huge. The decor was very nice, clean. TV was OK could have used a flat screen. Fridge never really got cold. The AC could have been a little colder, But for a rating of the cabin A-1. It was really nice and clean and comfortable. Bed and bedding was also fine. Personal products in the bath also.

Not sure about the port but the snorkling tour on the Fan-Ta-Sea was outstanding. I described it above. Well worth the price.

Went to a beach very near the docking area, 5 minute walk in full view of the ship. Water and beach was very clean, but a little rocky. There is a bath room facilities here also. Went to a pub for a drink and use of there Internet (15 mins for $3, very good deal to check on e-mails). This pub was also right at the end of the dock with a few other stores. Very nice and again safe. Cell phones again worked here (US) no problems

Went to a local beach

Took another snorkeling tour. 3 hours, very rustic boat and equipment but the area we went to for snorkeling was great. Lots to see and lots of fish. Nice cruise back to the ship stopping in a couple of inlets were the 'big money' is. Fancy ships and resorts.

Went to Meghan's Bay beach for the day. Great spot. $ 8 cab ride. $ 4 to enter the park. Lots of shade trees, hammocks, chairs, bath rooms, snack bar and bar. Voted one of the worlds top 10 beaches. Spectacular. Worth the trip

Shopping available at the pier. LOTS of shops. Be here a few times, didn't need any shopping

Cell phones work (US) without any problem

Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews