Costa Serena Cruise Review by tinytrex

Cruise Date: January 2010
Embarkation: Savona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: I
See More About: Costa Serena Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Costa Serena Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Serena Deck Plans
Fabulous birthday cruise on the Serena!! Loved it!!!
Travel To Port of Embarkation * This was easy! We dropped off our car at the valet stand in Savona, got a ticket and paid in cash. They took our luggage right there. No hauling it around like we did in Venice :D

One improvement here would be to have some light refreshments gratuito in the waiting area.

Hotel Info (if any) * No hotel used

Stateroom * The room was small, cozy, and cleverly used the space it had. We were on deck 1 near the center of the ship, and there was not hardly any noise! It was so dreamy. My husband and I agreed that it was some of the best sleep we've had. We love the rocking motion of the ship and the complete darkness.

Ship Info * The Serena is a grand ship! The interior is based on mythology, and it's vibrant if not a little bit over-the-top. But hey, you're cruising! It's an adventure! The layout was easy enough to get the hang of in a day.

Dining * This was the big scary thing that the reviews had me worried about. A lot of English speakers had dinged Costa for the food. Well, we liked it a lot. It was very authentic Italian, and there were plenty of options each day. You could have a light breakfast delivered to your stateroom for free each morning, or hit up one of the buffets for more menu items, or go to a sit down breakfast for omelettes/etc made to order. What more could I ask for there? Lunch had buffet and sit down options as well. This was the only part where I felt that the buffet was kind of sad, but overall it was sufficient. Dinner was glorious. Our waiter, Brian D, was the best! And there was always something interesting on the menu that I was excited to try, or an old favourite. Co-ordinating our orders together, my husband and I were able to try everything we wanted to.

Activities * Here's the part that maybe lacked the most for other English speakers, but we made the best of it! The staff all speak English and are willing to do their best to include you in any activity. I guess some people are shy to raise their hand and ask to be somehow specially included, but it was also a good chance to practice some new languages too! We did some trivia, some sports, and aquagym. There is a library with books of all languages to borrow, as well. We were never bored!

- Children's Clubs * no children

Service * Everyone was really happy to help however they could. Like I mentioned earlier, our waiter was amazing. The excursion desk lady (forgot her name!) was really kind as well. All of the support waiters and dining staff were nice. The only place this kind of went downhill was the sit-down breakfast. But it wasn't a big deal.

Entertainment * The English language TV was kind of unruly. There were 2 channels, sometimes only 1, and it wasn't always the same channel, and that was the frustrating part. If they'd just leave BBC World on or something like that, consistently, it would have been better.

As for the actual shows, they were hit or miss. The acrobats were pretty amazing, and the rest of it was quite cheesy, but that's all subjective of course.

Port & Shore Excursions * Our biggest complaint about this cruise is something we should have realized before we booked it, if we were more experienced cruisers: 5 hour stops in a port are just too short. This was only our 2nd cruise, and we're used to independent travel. We thought we'd be fine, but we soon realized that the 5 hour ports were a hassle without an excursion from the ship. It's just too stressful to worry about "will I make it back in time?" with those short ones. Overall, the ports were amazing. Here is where we stopped: Barcelona, Spain (self) Casablanca, Morocco (self for morning, ship excursion afternoon) Lanzarote, Canary Islands (self for morning, ship excursion afternoon) Tenerife, Canary Islands (self) Madeira, Portugal (self) Malaga, Spain (ship excursion)

Disembarkation *This went very smoothly. We turned in the ticket, got our car keys, found our car + luggage... then off we go! Summary * Overall this was a great itinerary, great value, great cruise! We made awesome new friends and will always have fantastic memories of the new places we visited!

Publication Date: 01/26/10