Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by hungryhippo: Pacific Jewel 9th Jan - 19th Jan 2010

hungryhippo
Member Since 2009

Pacific Jewel 9th Jan - 19th Jan 2010

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Other

Check in and Embarkation: This was a quite process. I dropped my bags off at 11am and checked in with no line whatsoever. Because I had family with me, the girl I was travelling with and the rest of us went out for lunch and we decided to get on the boat at around 2:30pm. No lines through customs and extremely friendly people helping us out. We skipped the first p and o photo and chose to go directly on board.

First impressions:

After we got on the boat we went straight to our room where we found our bags ready and waiting. We did a quick look around the boat and were extremely impressed with the layout and decor of the boat. We had the life jacket drill which for my part of the ship was held in Connexions bar. This was quick and to the point and we were out of there in about 20 minutes..if that. We then proceeded on to the deck for the sail away party and to wave off family who were waiting below. We found our self a spot on deck 10 at the back of the boat where More we could watch Sydney as we sailed out. We were very impressed with sail away and the party held and could not have asked for a nicer day in Sydney.

Ports: We went to four ports - Noumea, Lifou,Vila and Wala. I had never been to any and going to Noumea as the first port I thought I was in for a bad cruise. I was very disappointed with Noumea, but made the most of my time there none the less. We had a great tour guide who drove a few of us around for $10 each, purchased independently after we had gotten off the boat. Lifou was gorgeous and after we got there I knew I would enjoy the cruise. This island did not have much, but it was lovely to see the views they had to offer. Everyone is so welcoming and it was nice to see a smile from all of the locals. Snorkeling here was great also and the water was beautiful. Vila was also great. I did zorbing in Vila which was an awesome activity that I would highly recommend. We did out duty free shopping here and I got some very cheap alcohol here. There is too much to see in Vila and so little time! Wala - Gorgeous, absolutely breathtaking. I can not say enough good things about Wala. It is a small island of about 200-300 people, who are all really friendly. The beaches are beautiful and the water temp was just great. I stayed in the water for about 3 hours, and did not snorkel but enjoyed swimming around none the less.

Activities: I was pleased with the amount of activities going on, however not all appealed to me and my friend both being 20. During the times when nothing was on though we sun baked or swam in the pool or just hang out in the cabin watching movies on the t.v. I loved bingo which was on every day I think. There were also other fun things like the karaoke and games that were regularly on in Connexions.

Service: The service was great. If I ever needed anything there was always someone to help out. The room was always kept clean, and there were fresh towels twice a day. Our room steward Murli was very patient with my friend and I as some days we did not leave the room until 12pm due to being at the night club all night.

Stateroom: The room was great, we had an outside double cabin which was really spacious. I never felt cramped.

Bars, Night Club and other venues: Connexions was a great bar to meet up with people and have some drinks and watch a show or game at night. I highly recommend this bar. Casbah seemed to attract an older crowd maybe 30's upwards so we didn't really use this bar at all. The Marquee was good with the production shows, the bar in there was also good. The Attic was great! My friend and I spend most nights here meeting new people and were often there until the lights came on. I was a little over the music by the end of it because it was the same every night, but we made the most of it and danced the night away. The Attic has lounge type chairs outside which everyone sat on when we needed air. I didn't use the spa because it was ridiculously priced and did not use the gym.

Food: The buffet was average and did not have too much choice, however in saying that there are so many other things to choose from on the boat. We dined in the Waterfront restaurant quite a few times and the food was great! I was never disappointed with what I ordered. We were always seated quickly within 5 minutes maximum. We tried La Luna and this was probably my favourite meal on the cruise. It was $20pp which covered a 7 course degustation. It is Asian food and just delicious! I wanted to try their second menu but we never got around to booking it. We did not try the salt grill, but heard many good reviews and it was booked the whole cruise. There is a grill which opens at 3 near the buffet which you can buy wedges, pizza's etc from and that was also good. Only a small charge there.

Entertainment: I found many of the production shows to be aimed more toward the younger age groups, but there were also many shows that I enjoyed. The pacific cirque was great, and the outside circus called Zyzygy (I hope I got that right) was also great, however one of the performers fell from a hoops/trapeze type thing and injured herself so the show stopped early. I didn't see what happened with her as I wasn't feeling too good that night, and started to feel really shaky after I saw she was hurt and bleeding so I had to go back to the room until they had moved her. The comedians were great and there was a big turn out to both. The comedy hypnotist was fantastic and had the crowd in stitches.

Disembarkation: Was easy,I did not have to leave until 9:55, however they were ahead of schedule and we were off by about 9:30. We were through customs straight away as we had nothing to declare.

In all, I had a fantastic time. I really enjoyed cruising on Pacific Jewel and would definately do it again! Less

Read more Pacific Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pacific Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Pacific Jewel 5158

Great view, big cabin with plenty of storage space for clothes etc.