Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by terriberri: Mother/daughter cruise

Mother/daughter cruise

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was my first cruise on Carnival. I have also cruised with RCL, Celebrity, NCL and Costa cruise lines.

Embarkation : We arrived at the pier around 12:00pm. There was a huge line waiting. Took an hour from start to finish. Our canins were ready by 2pm, luggage arrived by 3pm and the safety drill was fast and I really appreciated the fact that Carnival does not reguire the wearing of lifejackets during the drill.

Cabin : I had an inside cabin on the 7th deck. The cabin felt roomier then the average inside, loved the flatscreen tv, and found the cabin clean and our room steward did a great job all week.

Dining : We had a table in the Black Pearl Restaurant. Enjoyed dinner every evening. Some standouts were the Chocolate Melting Cake, Bitter and Blanc bread pudding, the Boneless shortribs and the Duck! Our service was wonderful and I think the best we have had in many cruises. My DD and I really do not like buffets, but I found the buffet usual fare and More quality, with a few exceptions. The Mongolian Stirfry was delicious and I thought the Tandori Grill was a good quality of Indian food. When I 1st heard that a Chocalate Buffet would be at noon versus the more traditional Midnight Buffet, I thought this was a good idea. But it was a disapointment! The buffet had no ice sculptures, quality of desserts seemed low and no chocolate covered fruit! The Sushi bar was very fresh and delicious ! I also loved the free cocktail party the ship hosted on our last evening. Many drinks were served and lots of choices.

Entertainment : The shows were enjoyable, especially the Vroom show. The dancers and singers seemed a par above the usual on a cruise ship. The theater had a good sound system as well as comfortable seating.

Ship : There has been a lot written about the Splendor decor, I found it not overwhelming but would have to agree , it was a little 80's Vegas for my taste. The layout of the ship only took a few days to get use to, actually one of the easiest to me. I loved the adults only pool area but my favorite was the adults Serenity area , was especially quiet. My DD and I really loved the miniature golf course, was so much fun and for it being on a ship, really set up well. The water slides were fun even for adults, as usual not enough hot tubs to go around.

I really loved the fact that Carnival spends a long day in Puerta Vallarta, 9am to 10pm! This too me is the best port to experience Mexico.

I would say that my Daughter and I had an enjoyable cruise, very relaxing and would definitely sail on Carnival again. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Empress 7215

My Daughter and I went with Mazatlan Frank. Had a wonderful tour of the city , in the two hours we were able to see so much! Then on to The RIU resort for three hours of swimming, and an all inclusive for food and drinks. Then back to the ship. really enjoyed this tour, felt safe and relaxing.

Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews

I love PV, and decided to spend the day roaming the city and an massage in the evening. Because Carnival spends the day in PV from 9am to 10pm, there are many opportunities to enjoy.

My DD and I shared a van into Downtown, cost $3.00 per person. We spent the day exploring downtown, crossed the River into the Romantic zone, enjoyed lunch at Muertos Beach, at Daiquiris Dicks.

In the evening we took a taxi to Krystal resort. only cost $5.00. I had made a reservation for a massage, loved all my fellow CC members advice. The hour and 15 minute massage was wonderful and the new spa beautiful. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that I was quoted the price of $85.00 for two. When I arrived the receptionist charged me $95.00. i had left my email in the cabin so choose to say nothing..