“BRITS ON TOUR-Carnival Freedom Dec 2009”
Cruise review of Carnival Freedom

alfmac Carnival Freedom 5 BRITS ON TOUR-Carnival Freedom Dec 2009
alfmac
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Loved the ship, crew, excursions, everything! Went with hubby and 2 best friends for my 50th birthday and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Having only ever cruised once before, (Carnival again from Port Canaveral to Bahamas for 3 days in 2008) we a bit dubious about our friends who were first timers. They were so sick of us ranting about what to expect that we were worried that we may have exaggerated. No worries, we all had a ball. As Brits we are used to putting up with sub standard cr*p and not complaining (only to each other!)

The cabins, food, service, entertainment, public areas, excursions and overall impression were first class. On my actual birthday we booked the Sun King Restaurant. I thought it may be a bit of a waste of $30 each as the food in the Posh dining room had been wonderful and the service 5 star. I could not have been more wrong. We were treated as VIP's, the food was to die for and the staff made me feel so special that I did not want to leave. Unfortunately there was a deck party at 11pm so I had to go get my best togs off to join in... One little gripe; we were initially allocated a booth for 4 in the Posh dining room as our table for the whole cruise. NOT NICE, very dark, could not read the menu, could not see what was 'going on' anywhere else and could not mingle and meet new people.Diner style bench seats are not conducive with formal attire. Soon got moved though, and the Maitre D seemed so used to the request that I suspect that we weren't the first to complain. I'm a bit worried now though 'cos we've got the bug and I don't want to go with any different cruise line, we found Carnival excellent.

Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View

6C2284
No complaints but we were charged for several drinks from the minibar that we never had. Easily sorted out at the desk on disembarkation though. Clean, warm, comfortable.

Went on the Stingray, Turtle Farm and Hell excursion. In retrospect would not have gone to Hell! Nothing there, just a shop. Turtles OK, big ones are awesome. Best bit of this trip is the Stingray sandbar, out of this world. The boat trip alone is worth it. Great crew, good music, fab atmosphere. When you get there it's a bit scary, the stingrays look so big and it takes a while to get used to them but you have to do this trip, it's something I will remember forever. Finished it off with a Margarita at Jimmy Buffet's in the harbour, expensive but worth it as a one off experience.

Port
Went on the Pub Crawl excursion. What a laugh! Informative as well as enjoyable. Our guide made us feel welcome, he knew everyone by name and was very funny as well as keeping everyone together and safe. He pointed out all of the interesting bits with just enough info to keep our attention.(Although after the 4th bar I can't remember much!) We would visit Key West again after this experience.

Read 1,115 Key West Reviews
Port
I've given this a rating of 4, only because we would not go again if we were in Jamaica alone. We did the Dunn's River Falls and the Bobsleigh, both absolutely fantastic! Thoroughly enjoyed both and had a wonderful time, highly recommended. However, we were on the organised trip from the ship so felt reasonably safe but were acutely aware of the many locals trying to rip us off. Would not like to visit Jamaica as a stand alone holiday as we would feel safe

Published 01/21/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Freedom Review
Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?