Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Gangway: Jaded Experience

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Middle East
Embarkation: Barcelona

Dining: D-

We have been on 54 cruises, 7 with NCL, and we found the dining room experience on the Jade one of our worst. Although I enjoy eating in the alternative pay dining rooms, it felt like to us we had to to have an enjoyable and tasteful dinner. The service was hit and mostly miss in the Grand Pacific and the dreary designed Alizar. The shrimp in the appetizer were so small you could barely see them, the soups were mostly bland and the desserts were very scarce for one who avoids sugar and uneventful for one who like to indulge. It was not until the 10th day of the cruise that we had a great experience in the main dining room thanks to the great service of Amos. Most of the servers seem like they are just going through the motions and do not go out of their way to make the passengers happy. We ate twice in Le Bistro and found the food great, service average and ambiance outstanding. We were on the sister ship The Gem two years ago and found the food and service both More excellent. I realize this is a subjective topic but one that is important to most avid cruisers.

Cabin service: D

Our cabin steward never introduced himself to us. Our toilet stopped working every day until the 9th day a tech person replaced it. We reported the problem to our room steward to no avail, then the the pursers desk three times,after an insulting letter was left on the toilet telling us what to and not to flush my wife went to the pursers desk and explained that we have plenty of experience with ships toilets and we were tired of having to leave our room to find a working toilet. I realize things break down but this was poorly dealt with. The cabin steward often would come after we were back from dinner and the early show to disturb us. We are early diners and cabin steward on other ships always clean the room according to our schedule not theirs. Unlike most cruises we had no desire to take cabin steward home with us.

Medical service: A

We had an medical outbreak of the Nausea virus and I was one of many to call the medical center. A doctor and nurse promptly came to our room and gave me a shot and medicine. This was handled very well and I appreciate the help I received during this unfortunate situation.

Entertainment: A

We have always enjoyed the shows on NCL. The main theater shows were all first rate. The magicians Tim and Tom were great illusionist. The singers and live band were all talented and enjoyable. The comedians were funny and appealing to most nationalities. The solo entertainers were also great in the smaller venues.

Conclusion:

We sailed on the Pride of Aloha and the Pride of America with an all American crew and found they had better food and service than the Jade. Maybe NCL should have left this ship in Hawaii. Less

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jade 4589

Cabin 4589 is located mid ship inside, We like the location as it was close to the elevator and had little movement during rough seas.