Carnival Pride Cruise Review by traveler1974: First cruise, ready for our second!

traveler1974
Member Since 2009
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

First cruise, ready for our second!

Sail Date: August 2009
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

This was a first cruise for me, my husband and my sister. We are all professional adults in our early 30's who live in the Baltimore area. We have no kids. I want to state that this was our first cruise and we loved it so much, we have already re-booked the same cruise again and are bringing my parents! Anyway, we drove 15 minutes from our home to the port, parked and got in line to get on board. It took us about an hour to get onto the ship. We learned that if you are driving to the port and leaving your car, pay cash. There is no one in the cash line but a wait in the credit card line. We swooped right in, paid cash and parked. Easy as pie!

We loved the ship. Clean, clean, clean! I noticed ship employees steam clean the hallway carpets, shine the metal brackets on the edge of each stair, clean the window ledges, replace a broken floor tile in record time. Even the ceiling tiles/strips at Mermaids (buffet) were clean without a speck of dust. We tend to be neat freaks and we More notice these things. Impressive!

The ship staff was courteous and helpful and our room steward was wonderful and efficient. The main dining room, Normandie, had delicious with a great selection each night. Not a single complaint about service. It was wonderful. We also ate at David's Steakhouse 2 nights during the cruise and it is worth paying the extra $30. Simply a treat! Don't miss it! It is a 2-3 hour dining experience that you will thank yourself for later.

While at sea, we would sit around the Adults Only pool, bask in the warm sun and it was bliss. I read 4 books, listened to the light music that was playing in the background and just relaxed, relaxed, relaxed. Ruki and Inez served drinks all day long and were always at the ready - we miss them both! Now and then we would get in the pool or hot tub to cool off and then back to relaxing. The ship staff did kindly and discreetly enforce the no kids policy in this pool and it was nice since we were looking for serenity. The kids on the ship had plenty of fun in the larger family pool, kiddie pool and water slide. We enjoyed a few slips down the slide as well. Like I said, we're kids at heart!

By far, the best part of the cruise was the day at Half Moon Cay! Absolutely, hands own, the best part of this cruise itinerary. We almost rented a cabana or a clam shell but are glad that we didn't. Why? Because except for lunch, we spent the entire day in the water. Literally. We did not once take a seat on a chair. The sand and water were spectacular and we did not want to miss one minute in that water. The lunch that was served (the Beach BBQ) was also wonderful. It was all in all a very relaxed atmosphere and there was something for everyone. We had such a good time on this cruise that we are returning in a few months, on the Carnival Pride once again, with my mom and dad. This will be their first cruise and I can't wait until they spend a day at Half Moon Cay. We may never get them out of the water!

Only one negative comment. We were first time cruisers. Very new to the whole process. Once we were directed where to park, directed where to enter the port, directed where to wait in line, directed where to get our first picture and directed to the gang plank we finally made it inside the ship. We then proceeded to stand there not having a clue as to where to go next! We did not know that we couldn't get into our room yet but didn't find that out until we lugged everything up several flights of stairs. So, we turned around and found that everyone had congregated at Mermaids for lunch or a snack. It was so crowded by the time we got there that there were no seats available and so we stood in a corner eating ice cream. Point being - we were so fully directed to do everything UNTIL we got onto the ship. It would have been nice to have received a little direction for first time cruisers. Seasoned cruisers know what to do or where to go but we just stood there in the atrium not knowing what to do next. Eventually, we figured it all out but it would have been nice as new cruisers to have received a little guidance at that particular moment. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Verandah

We were located in a balcony on the back of the ship (aft) and 3 of us (adults) shared the cabin. I was pleasantly surprised with the storage space! Plenty of room for all of our stuff. The cabin itself was a bit larger than I had imagined. Even the bathroom was a good size for the room. Again, pleasantly pleased as a first time cruiser. When the motor was running full blast, there was some rumbling but that is to be expected when on the back of the ship. All in all, we loved the room. It was clean, spacious, smelled neutral and our cabin steward was amazing!

During our day at Freeport we decided to just take it easy and booked no excursions for this port. When you exit the ship, there is a small market to buy bags, beach towels, T-shirts, etc. It will take you about an hour or so to check everything out. If I could do it again, I would have booked an excursion for Freeport as there is not much around where the ship is docked. We are actually going back in a few months and have already decided on an excursion. Still, beautiful weather, beautiful water and a "take it easy" kind of place. Just make note that there is not much to do right there where the ship docks.

Read 775 Freeport Reviews

Grand Turk was our first port on the cruise. It was very easy on and off the ship since the port was a mere few steps away. Very convenient! The port contained well kept gift shops, rest rooms and beaches. Unfortunately, we only spent a few minutes on the beach as a nasty thunderstorm blew in and a torrential down pour followed. We laughed it off as "just our luck!" and that a wet day in Grand Turk was better than a dry day at work! We decided to grab a bite to eat at Margaritaville which was perfect - and contained a roof to keep us dry. The food was good, the servers were attentive and we enjoyed our brunch/lunch. Eventually, the rain slowed and we were able to check out the pool at Margaritaville and also the other shops at the port. We made some purchases and then boarded the ship. It would have been better if it were a warm, sunny day but mother nature does what mother nature does. The beaches were full of white sand and the water was beautiful. I did get some great pictures.

Another port we enjoyed on our cruise was Nassau, Bahamas. My husband and I had been to Nassau before and were excited to return. All 3 of us booked the Atlantis Adventure excursion and we highly recommend it! The excursion included all water slides, pools, lazy river etc at Atlantis, transportation and from and also lunch. We had a blast! Even though we are all in our 30's, we are big kids at heart. We enjoyed the lazy river, several slides and were on the go the entire day. We enjoyed lunch and also enjoyed looking around the hotel and casino. We again took some wonderful pictures and then boarded our bus back to the ship. We changed on the ship and then went back into Nassau to do some shopping. It is a great place to shop for jewelry and to find souvenirs.

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews