Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by D.T.

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by D.T.
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: D.T.
Cruise Date: January 2010
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 4d?

Carnival-never again.
I thought I could get used to the overwhelming use of the color PINK but I did not. Seems the decor designer was on a mission to cover everthing with pink,circles,plastic surfaces,Black Tile and 40.000 color changing lights?

Carnival built this New Ship with the Old style Diesel Engines,Long propeller shaft and Prop design. The results are a LOT of Rumbeling,Thumping and Vibration when underway. It was really bad in the Gold Pearl dining room and my cabin. Royal Caribbean has changed to a self contained AzaPod propulsion system that uses Electric Motors/Props suspended below the ship,much quieter and smoother.

We had an Inside Cabin on Deck 6. Number 6301. It is square instead of

the long narrow cabins. A very nice layout and feels bigger than a

normal cabin. Lots of closet space and the Flat Screen TV was nice even

if a little on the small side and could not be turned completely to

face the bed. The remote had limited range and you had to hold it way

out in front of you when more than 10 feet away to get into it's range.

The bed had a big low spot in the middle that made it feel almost like

a shallow hammock. Not what I expected for a ship this new? Being on a

short inside passageway means less foot traffic/noise outside the door.

After many Cruises we find a window or balcony cabin a waste of money

as we spend very little time IN our cabin in the daytime and sleep

better in the dark and quiet of the inside cabins. If you have ever had

a balcony cabin on a windy night the noise will keep you awake.

The Food was So-So at best. Anything beef was tough and tasteless and what they called CheeseCake was a bad joke. Even Veal was worse than any Frozen Dinner in a box. The Fish was OK and some of the Soups were quite good. The Spectacular Main Theater was an ugly collection of Fiberglass representations of Drapes and tables painted with 1960's Metal-flake Silver that contrasted with the Blue metal-flake walls. Good thing the Singers and Dancers were so good you didn't have to look at the decor for long. Carnival is Photo Happy and the photo setups plugged up walkways and got to be a real pain. Getting back aboard after a trip ashore was slow as they only have ONE X-ray machine for 3000 guests.

Smokers made the Casino,Sports Bar and some clubs unusable. They do have one small part of the casino with small signs saying "No Smoking",lot of good that does when it's 3 feet away from the Smokers! I was playing a slot machine in the "Non Smoking" section when a woman puffing away was standing right next to me. I pointed out the Non Smoking sign and her reply was "Oh I'm not playing I'm just watching my friend play!,yea she was a Blond. Carnival's Policy charging the Gratuities to your sign and sail card-weather you like it or NOT is way out of line. Gratuities should be up to the guest to decide! If they HAVE to collect them so the staff is paid then they need to add that to the cabin price as it is no longer for up to me.

Making the Guest download the travel documents and luggage tags was an unpleasant surprise. They didn't repay me for the Labor,Paper and Ink to do their job for them. The Gym was small and very cramped for a ship with 3000 Guests onboard. But then the SPA that was quite large a I'm sure helped generate $$$ that the Gym does not. No big surprise? When we docked in Mazatlan we were bow to bow with a Royal Caribbean ship that we had taken to Alaska a few years ago,wish I could have gotten on it instead of the Splendor when it sailed.

Publication Date: 01/20/10
Read the Mexican Riviera ports review by D.T.
More Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews