Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by D.T.: Carnival-never again.

D.T.
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Carnival-never again.

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I thought I could get used to the overwhelming use of the color PINK but I did not. Seems the decor designer was on a mission to cover everthing with pink,circles,plastic surfaces,Black Tile and 40.000 color changing lights?

Carnival built this New Ship with the Old style Diesel Engines,Long propeller shaft and Prop design. The results are a LOT of Rumbeling,Thumping and Vibration when underway. It was really bad in the Gold Pearl dining room and my cabin. Royal Caribbean has changed to a self contained AzaPod propulsion system that uses Electric Motors/Props suspended below the ship,much quieter and smoother.

We had an Inside Cabin on Deck 6. Number 6301. It is square instead of the long narrow cabins. A very nice layout and feels bigger than a normal cabin. Lots of closet space and the Flat Screen TV was nice even if a little on the small side and could not be turned completely to face the bed. The remote had limited range and you had to hold it way out in More front of you when more than 10 feet away to get into it's range. The bed had a big low spot in the middle that made it feel almost like a shallow hammock. Not what I expected for a ship this new? Being on a short inside passageway means less foot traffic/noise outside the door. After many Cruises we find a window or balcony cabin a waste of money as we spend very little time IN our cabin in the daytime and sleep better in the dark and quiet of the inside cabins. If you have ever had a balcony cabin on a windy night the noise will keep you awake.

The Food was So-So at best. Anything beef was tough and tasteless and what they called CheeseCake was a bad joke. Even Veal was worse than any Frozen Dinner in a box. The Fish was OK and some of the Soups were quite good. The Spectacular Main Theater was an ugly collection of Fiberglass representations of Drapes and tables painted with 1960's Metal-flake Silver that contrasted with the Blue metal-flake walls. Good thing the Singers and Dancers were so good you didn't have to look at the decor for long. Carnival is Photo Happy and the photo setups plugged up walkways and got to be a real pain. Getting back aboard after a trip ashore was slow as they only have ONE X-ray machine for 3000 guests.

Smokers made the Casino,Sports Bar and some clubs unusable. They do have one small part of the casino with small signs saying "No Smoking",lot of good that does when it's 3 feet away from the Smokers! I was playing a slot machine in the "Non Smoking" section when a woman puffing away was standing right next to me. I pointed out the Non Smoking sign and her reply was "Oh I'm not playing I'm just watching my friend play!,yea she was a Blond. Carnival's Policy charging the Gratuities to your sign and sail card-weather you like it or NOT is way out of line. Gratuities should be up to the guest to decide! If they HAVE to collect them so the staff is paid then they need to add that to the cabin price as it is no longer for up to me.

Making the Guest download the travel documents and luggage tags was an unpleasant surprise. They didn't repay me for the Labor,Paper and Ink to do their job for them. The Gym was small and very cramped for a ship with 3000 Guests onboard. But then the SPA that was quite large a I'm sure helped generate $$$ that the Gym does not. No big surprise? When we docked in Mazatlan we were bow to bow with a Royal Caribbean ship that we had taken to Alaska a few years ago,wish I could have gotten on it instead of the Splendor when it sailed. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Upper 6301

We had an Inside Cabin on Deck 6. Number 6301. It is square instead of the long narrow cabins. A very nice layout and feels bigger than a normal cabin. Lots of closet space and the Flat Screen TV was nice even if a little on the small side and could not be turned completely to face the bed. The remote had limited range and you had to hold it way out in front of you when more than 10 feet away to get into it's range. The bed had a big low spot in the middle that made it feel almost like a shallow hammock. Not what I expected for a ship this new? Being on a short inside passageway means less foot traffic/noise outside the door. After many Cruises we find a window or balcony cabin a waste of money as we spend very little time IN our cabin in the daytime and sleep better in the dark and quiet of the inside cabins. If you have ever had a balcony cabin on a windy night the noise will keep you awake.

The time ashore in Cabo is short so we just walked around. A very busy clean port that has become a destination for US pleasure boaters. Shopping was great for jewelery and food. Senior Frog's was Jumping (pardon the Pun) and there are many "Non Ship" excursions that can be had way cheaper than the one's offered by the ship. Of course you take your chances but everyone that we talked to said they were treated well. After All they want you to come back and bad experiences travel fast by word of mouth.

The Long Beach Cruise Terminal is the Dome built next to the Queen Mary where the Hughes Spruce Goose Flying Boat was on display for many years. On debarkation we had a big delay as the terminal had only ONE small elevator and one escalator from the Gang Plank level to the ground level and the Escalator was broken. They need to expand that area of the facility to handle 3000 passenger ships. The final insult was a $105.00 fee to park there for 7 days. Carnival needs to negotiate a lower parking fee for it's guests.

Lots of choices for your time ashore. we did the Countryside Adventure. it was refreshing trip away from the down town area and the weather was very nice!