Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by cbreit: Carnival Freedom - Western Caribbean

Member Since 2002

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Freedom - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2010

Just kidding about Tiger Woods, but one of the cocktail waiters on Lido deck looked just like him.

This was our 7th cruise, 2nd in a row on the Freedom. We've cruised Princess and Carnival in the past.

Embarkation was about an hour. No hassles, just a lot of people. Luggage was at the room waiting for us around 2:00. Johnson was our room steward and he was awesome. Kept our beers on ice all week (yes, we smuggled some on with no problem.)

The only problem we had all week was the weather. Cold and windy on embarkation day and most of the rest of the week as well. The only time it got a little warm and sunny was the day we went to Ocho Rios, Thursday. We got nervous after hearing about a possible tsnunami after the earthquake in Haiti, but Wee Jimmy, the cruise director, came over the intercom and told us that the Captain said we were in no danger.

Food - The food in the buffet was typical buffet food. Nothing to rave about. Was very disappointed More in the Fish & Chips this time. Very doughy! The Sun King restaurant food was AWESOME! I had the grilled prime rib chop and my DH had the surf and turf. Would definitely do that again! Dessert was the same options as last year, but still very good. We had the chocolate lover's delight, or something to that effect. We only had dinner in the Chic dining room one night. I had the prime rib and DH had surf and turf, AGAIN.. Nothing to rave about there. Wanted a roast beef sandwich from the deli but sadly they don't have that anymore. DH had a Reuben and said it was good. (Hmm.. I guess I like roast beef?? LOL) I have to admit that I am a very fussy person when it comes to food.

Had fun in the casino, well actually I should say DH had fun. He was very lucky most of the week. Came home with about the same amount of money he left with.

Debarkation was pretty easy.. took about a half hour in total.

All in all, nice trip but wish we had better weather!

Entertainment - We had seen Ticket to Ride last year so this year we decided to see The Big Easy. WOW!!!! Awesome show!!! Make sure if you go to stay for the entire show - it's definitely worth it!!

Ports - We went to Key West (cold again) but walked around Duval Street and had a drink at Sloppy Joes. In Grand Cayman, due to the weather, we couldn't dock where we normally would so we would have had to take the tender, hire a cab for a 15 minute ride into town, and then figure out what to do. I am so glad we didn't reserve any tours ahead of time. We never got off the ship that day. At Ocho Rios, we walked over to the village shopping area. Not too many cabbies around, maybe because we got off the ship a little later than everyone else. It poured there a few minutes after we sailed away. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Panorama 1005

Cabin 1005 on Panorama deck. Great balcony. Only a little noisy when people were going to the front observation deck with the door slamming.