Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Review by Broker Sue: Oddyssey /Cabin includes Shims/Great coffee at the Square

Broker Sue
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Seabourn Odyssey Western Caribbean Cruises

Oddyssey /Cabin includes Shims/Great coffee at the Square

Sail Date: December 2009

She was an elegant young lady waiting;tied up at the dock but that was the surface; like with many painted ladies! We eventually got to and waited in the Grand Salon (after waiting on the dock facilities for 45 min.), no announcements, people confused, no music, no smiles, waiting for a "person" to take us to our cabin about an hour later; there he was, no smile, bored I think! We marched to our cabin, our bags were outside the room, he said "this is your cabin" and left. We carried the bags in! I as a person with 3 gen. of contractors noticed shims put in near the ceiling. I knew what that meant and took pictures, this is not my first rodeo. My husband at 6'3" could not stand upright in the shower, I liked it. The T.V., think the size of a place mat- oh well I hate T.V. The frig stocked with soda, we asked for water, we don't drink soda. The deck-dirty! We never saw the soda leave so we brought our water in from other sources. The first night it was like 50 people partying above us, More the creaking and crunching and vibrating bed?? was horrible. We called and they sent a maintenance guy asap that a.m. I asked if the shims were there to fix the noise and he said "yes, he could do no more. That night the "elegant young lady of a boat" wallowed in the sea like a fat sow in a mud pile. First time in all my cruises I was sea sick, ugh! One crew member eventually told us stabilizer issues? After 2 days I complained about the noise and another maintenance guy came in and reshimmed the cabin. It helped for two days then it started again. My husbands birthday is on Christmas day, At time of reservations Seabourne knew this and NO celebration was given to him except our own. I tried to get a cake but finally scored a peach pie, Thanks to Guenther. Although my husband wore expensive Tommy Bahama shorts and shirts we were not made welcome in 3 restaurants. The food when we did manage to get in was not of the quality we were use to. We did eat at the Grill and the service was wonderful, warm but the menu extremely limited. Many of the crew members were not warm and helpful like we are use to on Regent. The Barrista at Seabourne Square was the best I've seen AND always smiled and his service was wonderful. The goodies there great! When the wait staff at "The Restaurant" refused to sing "Happy Birthday" to my husband and the only other gentleman (70) celebrating a Christmas birthday at the restaurant and said that was policy; I was shocked. Two days later they were singing in force for another persons birthday; I was stunned. The time we went to the Colonade for Italian night and my husband ordered salmon (excellent) and the wait staff person announced 3 times very loudly "You want Salmon" its Italian night!! At 6'3" and a voice that makes a dog cringe at 50 paces; she absolutly heard what he wanted. Italian night was Osso Buco and potato stuffed noodles. No lasagna, spaghetti, or many of the wonderful Italian dishes we know. It was just plain strange. On a positive note I had several spa services and they were exceptional; but overpriced and I'm assuming that the space was contracted for as being the reason. I feel the Odyssey is beautiful, has service issues,food issues,no warmth,only one formal dining area is needed it is 2010 and my grandparent's day of flying/cruising around the world dressed to kill is gone! We work many hours and vacations are a get away not a dress up to impress. The crew- few smiles,crew act stressed, no personalities emerged among the crew. It was like no one really cared. I asked one crew member to help an elderly couple and was told "Its not my job!' My husband watched as a person delivering drinks spilled a drink on the tray and it was spooned up behind the counter and served to someone! Was That YOU! This beautiful ship is an ice princess and lacks warmth; she needs TLC. My question is since they/staff/maintenance/shim maker/shim installer/boat owner and on knew our cabin was not suitable to occupy how could they let us pay to not sleep for 7 days and have what we feel is NOT a good experience. Less

Read more Seabourn Odyssey cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Seabourn Odyssey Review >>

Cabin review: Seabourn Odyssey Veranda Suite Deck Five 530

Our cabin was sufficient in size. The bath was lovely except my 6'3" husband could not fully stand up in the tub or shower. The bath products Molten Brown or what ever were average hotel variety. I like aromas that relax or refresh. The T.V. was the size of a table place mat but I don't go on a cruise to watch t.v. The closet was just right, the bed comfortable. No where except near the T.V on the floor behind some stuff to plug in my hair styler. the balcony was nice, not clean tho. Huge issue reported by others on our deck and below us was noise in the cabin and it appears to be construction related. The panel system used in the ceiling is giving them issues. Our issue for 530 left us unable to sleep almost every night we were there. We slept 13 hours after we left the boat and got into a hotel. We were exhausted by this problem.