Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by chaygal: Are You Kidding!!!!!!

chaygal
Member Since 2005

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean Cruises

Are You Kidding!!!!!!

Sail Date: January 2010

This was just a last minute choice and having never been on NCL thought we'd like to try it!!!!! Living in South Florida gives us the opportunity to pickup and leave for a Caribbean Cruise whenever we care to.

Embarking onto the ship was hassle free - being on the ship, that was another experience. We entered our cabin only to find garbage in the room from the last tenants and because it was cold last week we wanted to warm up the room. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the thermostat to kickup the heat. We called Housekeeping, but after about 2 or more hours with no resolution (either with the heat or the garbage), we complained again, this time in person. After many excuses from the staff, finally the heat went on, the garbage removed.

The cabin - small for an outside room - the bed hard as a rock - the bathroom is split into 2 compartments, one where the shower and sink is another for the toilet, or more to the point the "water closet" which couldn't be categorized More as anything but a "closet" small to the point of being ridiculous!

Dining - "Free Style" seems like a good idea, but unless you want to spend more money in their specialty restaurants, there really isn't much to choose from. They have a standard menu on one side and a menu that changes daily. Whichever side of the menu you choose, the choices are disappointing. The quality was not consistent. The public areas are okay, adequate at best, but no place to comfortably relax indoors. The Promenade Deck doesn't offer the typical lounge chairs found on other cruise lines, just some canvas chairs (and not many of those either) scattered around.

I do believe that NCL thinks that those people sailing on their ships have money to burn!!!! They never seem to miss an opportunity to sell, sell, sell as they are always hawking their wares!!!! $15.00 per person for their special jazz brunch, raffle tickets to be bought at the shows, 4 billable specialty restaurants and in one case Cagney's Steakhouse an extra $10.00 for prime dinners (lobster, crab legs, etc.).

If there was anything redeemable to say about this cruise, it would have to be the entertainment, that was the best part of this experience. With the varied assortment of cruise lines to choose from, I would have to say NCL will not be seeing us again, nor would I recommend them. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

When leaving the ship we were herded through an elevated shopping area before we could get down to the street level. Actually, we had no choice but to pass through the maze of shops. I felt programmed to spend, spend, spend. I realize that this is a tourist area, but it doesn't have to be so blatantly displayed! This was my third time in Cozumel and by far the least enjoyable experience, leaving me to doubt that I would want to come back.

Read 3145 Cozumel Reviews

Aside from the fact that the Island was jammed with tourists (6 ships in port that day), it was a pleasant time spent. The shopkeepers were cordial with no pressure to purchase.