Westerdam Cruise Review by vallee: Honeymooners on Board

Compare Prices on Westerdam Southern Caribbean Cruises

Honeymooners on Board

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Being a first time cruiser, I wondered if this was right for me. Hearing so many awesome things about Cruising, I thought I would start with Holland America Line and start with a more relaxed cruise. I was not wrong about any of my expectations. Actually, they surpassed me. The Westerdam itself is beautiful and very elegant. I felt like royalty. Smile after smile, you are greeted like family.

Our stateroom was roomy with a verandah which for me now, is a must for my cruises.  Our cabin was near the elevators and truthfully I didn't hear them. Our balcony was small but perfect for breakfast or star gazing. The only down side, we had the bright orange lifeboats under us. It didn't obstruct our view, it just was very ORANGE.

I don't have any other cruises to compare but my husband tells me that we had more space than he had ever had for a Verandah. I found it cozy but not stuffy. We we're not in each others way when getting ready for anything. We had a combo More bath/shower and it was fine. We had more than enough storage space and we came on board with 5 pieces of luggage and we had left over space. My husband has been on several cruises before but never on HAL and he was also impressed with it. I hear that most cruise lines offer the same Royalty feeling but for me, it was a first.

The ship was immaculate and clean. The food delicious both in the Dinning Room and Lido deck. The entertainment was exceptional and varied. I love the formal nights and have to say 75% of the people in the dinning room, we're indeed in either Tuxedo's or dark suits and ladies in glittery outfits. I enjoy the tranquility of the SPA to the loud disco dancing at the Northern Lights. HAL lines are known for the older crowd and it is but never stop anyone from having a great time. We meet some incredible friends on Cruise Critic that also made this experience even better.

The Westerdam had little extras for our honeymoon which where very appreciated. The staff where courteous and very helpful. I do recommend this Cruise Line to everyone and will sailed again with her. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Verandah 5105

Our cabin was near the elevators and truthfully I didn't hear them. Our balcony was small but perfect for breakfast or star gazing. The only down side, we had the bright orange lifeboats under us. It didn't obstruct our view, it just was very ORANGE. I don't have any other cruises to compare but my husband tells me that we had more space than he had ever had for a Verandah. I found it cozy but not stuffy. We we're not in each others way when getting ready for anything. We had a combo bath/shower and it was fine. We had more than enough storage space and we came on board with 5 pieces of luggage and we had left over space.

With the help of one of our new Cruise Critic friend, we booked the afternoon a The Jolly Pirate for some snorkeling and fun. And fun it was. Since our ship was 1 hour late, it didn't give us much time to do anything else. So we rushed by taxi to the beach area and boarded to Pirate Ship :) The bar was open and free and the group on our ship where mid 20's to mid 50's. It was a beautiful day on the ocean and we got to snorkel at 2 places. They provided the snorkeling equipment. We then had the chance to swing or jump of into the emerald ocean. This activity was very inexpensive and worth it.

The ride back to the ship was harder. We waited for taxis which never showed up. We had to walk to the main street and flag one. Took about 1 hour to get back to our ship.

Read 684 Aruba Reviews

(5.5)
We took one of the Ship's excursion. Dive with Animals at the Aquarium.

I had never scuba dove and I have to admit was scared I wouldn't of been able to do it. We where greeted by the owner who proceeded to our safety lesson and explanation of what we had to look forward to.

Well equipment on and ready to breath under water, we plunged, foot by foot with the guidance of such incredible people, we swan with the fish, played with stingrays, feed sea turtles and sharks, which both where in back of protective glass (Thank Goodness). The instructors we're there for us the whole time, making sure all our equipment was good and we we're OK.

I cannot describe the feeling of this excursion for me. It is quite a millstone in my life and I am very thankful the HAL excursion staff had recommended it. I truly recommend this to anyone and everyone. Do not put a limit on what you can achieve. I did it, so can you.

Read 502 Curacao Reviews