Westerdam Cruise Review by vallee

Member Name: vallee
Cruise Date: January 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: VE
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Honeymooners on Board
Being a first time cruiser, I wondered if this was right for me. Hearing so many awesome things about Cruising, I thought I would start with Holland America Line and start with a more relaxed cruise. I was not wrong about any of my expectations. Actually, they surpassed me. The Westerdam itself is beautiful and very elegant. I felt like royalty. Smile after smile, you are greeted like family.

Our stateroom was roomy with a verandah which for me now, is a must for my cruises.  Our cabin was near the elevators and truthfully I didn't hear them. Our balcony was small but perfect for breakfast or star gazing. The only down side, we had the bright orange lifeboats under us. It didn't obstruct our view, it just was very ORANGE.

I don't have any other cruises to compare but my husband tells me that we had more space than he had ever had for a Verandah. I found it cozy but not stuffy. We we're not in each others way when getting ready for anything. We had a combo bath/shower and it was fine. We had more than enough storage space and we came on board with 5 pieces of luggage and we had left over space.

My husband has been on several cruises before but never on HAL and he was also impressed with it. I hear that most cruise lines offer the same Royalty feeling but for me, it was a first.

The ship was immaculate and clean. The food delicious both in the Dinning Room and Lido deck. The entertainment was exceptional and varied. I love the formal nights and have to say 75% of the people in the dinning room, we're indeed in either Tuxedo's or dark suits and ladies in glittery outfits. I enjoy the tranquility of the SPA to the loud disco dancing at the Northern Lights. HAL lines are known for the older crowd and it is but never stop anyone from having a great time. We meet some incredible friends on Cruise Critic that also made this experience even better.

The Westerdam had little extras for our honeymoon which where very appreciated. The staff where courteous and very helpful. I do recommend this Cruise Line to everyone and will sailed again with her.

Publication Date: 01/16/10