Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by cb1968

Norwegian Sun
Norwegian Sun
Member Name: cb1968
Cruise Date: February 2005
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Try not to graze
Let me just say that this was my first cruise of which all others would be judged.

We arrived in Miami at the port after a harrowing bus ride from Fort Lauderdale and had a fairly painless embarkation process. This being my first cruise but my wife's third I was impressed with the speed at which we were processed, she told me that it had been better on the Princess cruise she had been on with her mom and sister. Our cabin was an inside but was very roomy; I am guessing that it was for larger parties as it had a nice lounge that pulled out into another bed and huge closet. Our steward was excellent and there at our beckoned call. I made the worst rookie mistake on a cruise you can make, I grazed. There were so many tempting treats all over the ship that I ruined my dinner on a couple of occasions.

The shows were entertaining and we attended what ever was on in the theatre every night.

We chose this cruise because it had four ports of call (Roatan, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Belize), all were pretty good but the tendering on Grand Cayman and Belize was a little tiresome. Roatan was the most "rustic". My wife hates to be accosted by overly aggressive people and gets nervous when she is. This port is the one to be avoided if you have trouble saying no thanks or get upset when they don't take no for an answer. I can and do ignore such people but as I said my wife gets nervous. After running the gauntlet for a half an hour my wife had enough, I suggested a cab ride to the other side of island for lunch. This turned out to be a great thing. Found an excellent seafood restaurant overlooking a small sheltered bay for fresh lobster and steak. Including the cab ride it cost 40 dollars which I found quite reasonable. I enjoyed walking around Belize City, it seemed to have an old Central American feel to it with a little of the old cartel feel. I was never nervous but could feel some of the underworld still there. Grand Cayman was the most "Americanized" with Cozumel coming a close second. Just walked around the town and my wife did a little shopping. I did enjoy the glass blowing store a short walk (half a mile) from the pier. Just watching them make the glass art is mesmerizing. In Cozumel we hired a cab to take us to a beach. All the beaches are public but the bars lining them provide the beach chairs and it is expected that you will patronize them. Good thing a nice libation on the beach was most appreciated and almost free.

All in all the cruise was good, excellent service and good food. I only didn't like the open seating (freestyle). I would have preferred a set time as you get to know your table mates over the cruise and there is no lining up. If I wanted to line up I would have gone to the buffet.

Publication Date: 01/16/10