Maasdam Cruise Review by cinderella45: Worst cruise of a lifetime!

cinderella45
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Maasdam Southern Caribbean Cruises

Worst cruise of a lifetime!

Sail Date: April 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean

I cannot adequately describe the regret we had for this cruise.

First- Our cabin for three adults was without air conditioning for most of the cruise. A technician came in 3 times but told us that we were at the "end of the air conditioning system" whatever that meant! It was never fixed!

Second-The ship lost electrical power at St. Thomas. had to order a part. Lost time. Elevators were not working, people were stuck in the elevators, and the handicapped passengers were stuck on floors (during dinner and lunch)

Third-Second loss of power in another port, nothing worked even the doors, had to walk up 9 flights to eat!

Fourth-Port of Roseau was a dump-raw sewerage was terrible. Town was worst I have seen.

Fifth-Any Time dinners were served dining room style, no buffet. Sixth-Worst of all, Passengers began getting sick with flu symptoms, both chest and abdominal. It was so bad that the food counters were wrapped with Saran and we were not allowed More to touch salt, pepper, etc. all had to be handled by crew staff. So many members of the crew were sick that they had girls from the beauty salon helping to serve. Were told that Doctor could not help due to type of illness. My husband and brother were sick and bedridden for 5 days. We booked shore excursions, but were not able to get our money back due to this illness. Quite a few passangers we met had pneumonia. Last but not least, the day we returned to Ft. Lauderdale, we saw the crew unwrapping the food counters preparing for the next passengers. I got on the Dept. of Health CDC center for disease control website to see if this ship was listed with a poor rating, and the only thing I found was that a member of the entertainer staff was sick!! Ships inspection was a 94% Unbelievable. Apparently they never reported this epidemic of sickness.

In addition, on Half Moon Cay, although the place was beautiful, it happened to be a site of disgust! My friend and I saw birds eating the cookies, the head chef was also there and we pointed this out to him..he just laughed and said he would take care of it. When we returned from out walk, the birds were still sitting on the cookies and cakes and eating them!!..I attempted to write Holland America about this, but to no avail. So, posting this instead. Less

Read more Maasdam cruise reviews >>