Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Skeeter60: We keep Dreamin'

Skeeter60
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

We keep Dreamin'

Sail Date: January 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I just returned home today from our cruise on the Carnival Dream. Overall, the cruise was nice but with the boat being so new there are many things which still require the cruise company to correct in order for all cruisers to have a wonderful experience in the future.

The boarding was very efficient and fast. We were not allowed to go directly to our rooms due to the cleaning by housekeeping which did not complete until around 1:30 p.m. This was not a big deal since the buffet lines were open and we could grab a bite to eat. The buffet was OK but lines were very long on all occasions which we used the area. I think the cruise line could have arranged the food a little more efficently to speed up the lines but my biggest complaint was not the line it was the lack of seating. It looks like the boat was designed to seat about 500 people less than necessary. We had to clean tables in order to find one we could use in the buffet. By the time you got your food, More then went to get a beverage and then found a place to sit your food was cold or you did not have something you needed.

We tried to do as many shows as possible and have a great time as this was my birthday cruise. Upon arrival one of our friends had purchased a birthday decoration for our room and I was nicely surprised by the colorful decorations.

The room was an interior and this was the first time we had booked an inside room. I was impressed with the overall size and amount of storage space. The room was equipted with a hair dryer which had not been on some of the carnival boats we have enjoyed in the past. Our friends had a balcony and that room was great, it had a couch, and more storage than our room. The balcony was small but overall a good room. They did complain of the noise from other cruisers who let their balcony doors slam and that their door whistled from the wind.

Several times on the cruise we got a whiff of the sewer like smell that others have commented on but not to the point of breathing it all the time. I think this is really diesel or something lacking in the air handling system. I also smelled the same smell up on one of the decks later in the week. The smell was recognized by several passengers we spoke with on the boat and on our floor.

The dining room was nice and menus were just like any other carnival ship we have been on. I had really expected a change in food choices but all were basically the same menu.

All of the furniture was very uncomfortable! All areas of the ships must have been designed with Danish furniture because they were not made for normal Americans! I found no where in a bar, on deck, in the Atrium etc. that had comfortable seating.

We ate at the Chef's Art steakhouse and all except me loved the meal. I ordered my steak medium (pink) and it bleed all over my plate. The waitress never came back to ask if our food was prepared well. The other three in my group raved about how great their food was. The deserts were good but I did notice that the drinks were more expensive in this dining room that other dining areas.

The shows were good but crowded. The comedy club was a good idea but with a boat this size it is way too small! We tried to go to four different shows and could not get in. We finally went an hour early for a early show and got in.

Excursions were OK. Took the butterfly farm visit in St. Thomas, Paradise Island in Nassau and Island tour and beach stop in St. Martin. All except the butterfly farm were worth the money. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Vista 9294

Cabin was nice. Cabin steward did good job. Very dark room at night due to being an inside cabin. I think the cabin steward did all he could do in keeping rooms clean but they were all over worked and probably had 40 -50 cabins each to service.

Nassau is a OK port and most of the town is in walking distance. The cruise line pushes the use of the "water ferry or water taxi" it is filthy, uncomfortable and dangerous. The ferry operators overload the ferry and even seat passengers on the captains bench to balance the weight. We bought round trip tickets but took a cab back to the boat which only cost 4 -5 dollars per person.

Read 2607 Nassau Reviews

We walked around town and then took a guided Island tour and beach stop (about 3.5 hours) We got with some others from the boat and went to the tour stand. We had a group of 12 so it cost us $25 each. Had we booked this on the boat it was $45 per person. The guide was nice and talked us through the tour. The one negative I had was we were dumped at the edge of the nude beach and did not realize it. Man did we see more of some people than we would have if we had realized what we were strolling into!

We took the lift to Paradise Point and enjoyed the overlook. The Bushwacker drink is awesome but cost around $10 each. We also visited the butterfly farm and all of this is in walking distance.

Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews