Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by NnJ36

Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: NnJ36
Cruise Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Cabin Category: m
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Christmas and New Years What a present from Santa
It was pleasant to find our cabin clean and ready for us to move in. I was allowed, by the staff to decorate the outside and interior of our cabin with holiday decorations, which were far and few between.

We had a large group for our M&M and RCCL put us all in the dark and cramped Chamber. I remember from past RCCL M&M's we were greeted by the CD and staff, there were many raffles and terrific prizes in the past. I have to say there was no one from the entertainment staff and I feel RCCL was very cheap this trip and bar drinks were not included as in the past, as well as the fancier snacks from previous M&M's.

Our first excursion in San Juan was cancelled due to mechanical failures and I am glad they were looking out for us but offered nothing but a refund in return. Very little in shore excursions here. When we went to Portofino's to check on our already paid and confirmed wine and dine dinner, we were told there was not going to be one on this cruise due to too many formal nights. Then we were told that it was on but not that night. Then we were told that the dinner had actually been cancelled because of lack of participation. They needed 25 persons for the dinner. OK so we got yet another refund.

As for " My time dining ", if we wanted to have any guests with us they had better be from the " My time dining " as well, or they were not allowed. What a way to treat people who have made friends and have been loyal to RCCL. Since the ship was going into dry dock after this cruise, our wine selections were limited as they were emptying out. I'm sorry but I paid the same price as anyone on the cruise before us and the one before them. I think I should be allowed the same choices.

The shows were great and done very professionally. I agree with the last reviewer that security needs to be increased especially with the teens. Their curfew was for 1AM !!! Need I say more, as they were running up and down the hallways late evenings, loudly talking on their two-ways, holding up elevators, leaving trash all over the place. Come on RCCL lower the curfew to a more reasonable hour , BEFORE most adults bedtimes. Yes and parents of these children....SHAME ON YOU !!! We ALL want to enjoy our vacations.

I , also found upper level staff unfriendly. Eyes looking away almost hoping they would not have to talk with you. I also found the Art Auctioneers to be way to business like and not as outgoing as those on previous cruises. If you want people to buy art, you need to be friendly. Sorry fellows. What was with the Slot tournament?? We used to look forward to that also. It started at 1 pm and the finals were over by 1:05. No mistake there. The whole thing lasted for 5 minutes. In the past, there were 3-4 groups of people waiting to compete, a leader-board and prizes up to $500. This was a one time sign up and the 3 winners got t-shirts and a plastic trophy.

The excursions were well worth the money. The guides were knowledgeable and courteous but the Barbados Hike and Cave does not warn you that you will be up to your knees in water so bring your water shoes nor does it mention that when the water is high you should bring a bathing suit or a change of clothing. Our shoes were ruined and the tour guide told us we were lucky they were having a drought so instead of being up to our chests in water, it was only up to our knees. RCCL handed me a complaint form , was unable to find a solution for my good hiking shoes that were ruined and the money we had to spend to buy new, so we are now awaiting an answer from headquarters in Miami.

OK enough complaints.

The food was excellent, as well as the wait staff. The entertainment was wonderful. The sculptures in fruit were amazing. I especially enjoyed the Christmas morning brunch on the Promenade as well as on New Years Day. We had a wonderful vacation and have signed on for next year already. There will always be problems but why let it ruin your good time away from the snow and cold when you can be in warm sunny climates. RCCL get back to pleasing customers like you used to instead of making so much profit off of us.

Publication Date: 01/08/10