New Year's Cruise on the Conquest: Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by greghoffman
Overall Member Rating
New Year's Cruise on the Conquest
Destination: Western Caribbean
- Don't know if it was because we were going out of Texas or what, but the beef entrees in the main dining room were the best I've had on any cruise - tender, well-seasoned, and cooked to order (rare - which has been tough to get on other ships). Appetizers and desserts were also very good.
- Our waiter, Martin (and his assistant Bobi) were great - helpful with dining selections, attentive without being obnoxious, and Martin was hilarious. This might have something to do with the first Pro above, but Martin's wife was at a higher level in the dining room staff hierarchy, so maybe we got special attention from the chefs :).
- Nice artwork all over the ship. More
- Never met the cabin steward, but the room was always clean when we got back from anything - as the cruise director said, they were like ninjas.
- Comedy acts and juggler were very good
- Watching Bears/Vikings game on the big screen by the pool was a treat for a Minnesotan this time of year.
- The rest of the entertainment was kinda blah - the Magic show was particularly non-spectacular
- Side dishes that went with the entrees were hit and miss - mostly miss.
- Buffet food was okay, but seemed to have less variety than most I've seen. Bouillabaisse in the Sur la Mer was very good, though.
- "Sushi bar" was a disappointment - sushi was okay, but lines were long, and variety was limited
- Long lines at the poolside dining spots - pizza/burgers/Mongolian wok, etc. I know - it was a Christmas break cruise - lines were long everywhere.
- Not really the cruise line's fault, but several of the decks were closed for long periods of time due to "high winds" - made the Lido deck/pool area even more crowded.
- Ports of call - Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel - aren't the most exciting, but maybe it's because I've seen them all before.
- Rooms we got were on deck 2, very near the front. We got a lot of thudding wave noise in the moderate seas during parts of the trip. Also, got noise from the theater - we were directly under it - but we were never trying to sleep while a show was going on.
- No big-screen movies, except for one or two on the pool screen. Less
Cabin review: 4B2203 Interior
Typical interior cruise room. Comfy beds. Nice shower. Room was very near the front of the ship, and got a lot of thumping wave noise during rougher parts of the trip. Rooms were directly under theater.Read All Interior (4B) Reviews >>
Port and Shore Excursions
There were 5 or 6 ships in port that day. My recommendation would be to check how many ships are going to be in port the day you are, and maybe find something else to do if it's that crowded. It appears that Tom has one of the popular spots to go to - there was a line of taxis waiting to get in when we went. We talked to Tom as we were leaving, and he said it gets like that at peak times, but other parts of the year, it's much less crowded.
I didn't do a tour/excursion or anything, just walked around. We did the stingray tour last time, though, and it's something you should do - once...
We were offered some of the local herbage by our taxi driver...
Great 5 Night Cruise on the Ca...
Amazing ship and onboard exper...