Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by iimmie: Horrible

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

Horrible

Sail Date: January 2009
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Ok 1st off this was my 16th cruise (my 4th with NCL). I was the 1st person in the port but I was about the 100th to be let on board after sitting for over 4 hours. I went straight up to deck 12 for the buffet since we were told we could not enter our rooms until after 2 pm due to them cleaning the rooms, I find this very ironic considering my "cleaner" just made my bed with wet piss in it from the previous cruise...but I will get back to that later. There were no tables to sit at, I wound up going outside in 20 degree weather to eat. Not a fun way to start my cruise! I went to order the bucket (buy 5 get 1 free as in every other ncl cruise I have taken)...When he rang me up i asked about the free beer the response was oh no we don't have that on the 1 night...Ok fine just give me the 1 beer..I got an attitude well why don't you want the bucket? I responded well if i am going to have to pay for them all separately why would i want to carry around 6? The guy just rolled his eyes. More

I usually book a balcony room or a mini-suite but I booked an inside room since it was only a 1 nighter and the first thing I did was request a soft pillow. It never came. I explored the ship for a while and while it is beautiful I could not walk more then 10 feet without a new waiter or waitress asking me if i wanted a drink (Even though I had 1 in my hand at the time). While the embarkment party was going on at 4pm i went to wait on line in front of the duty free shop to buy cigarettes, the store opening was supposed to be at 4:30. All the other stores opened on time but the duty free shop did not open until 5:30. By that time the line went down 2 hallways. When they did open the mad rush of people grabbing stuff was UNBELIEVABLE. A man knocked items out of 1 woman's hand then grabbed the stuff off the floor, the same man a minute later lifted his fist as if he was going to hit another woman. Her husband went berserk and the employees basically looked at the guy like he was crazy when he was just trying to defend his wife. Had that been me I would have picked up a bottle and cracked him over the head with it. I stood there to see if they were going to do anything about the guy and nada...they actually helped the guy pick up his 40 cartons of cigarettes and brought them to the register!! If that were my store he would have been escorted out and if i were the woman that had her stuff knocked out of her hands I would have requested a copy of the video and had the guy arrested. My cousin was already at the register so i gave him my stuff and walked out because it was getting to be a near riot and since I had my stuff I did not want to be caught in the cross-fire.

We went to dinner at Teppenyaki and enjoyed the food very much. I should have expected that since it cost me over 70 bucks. After dinner we went to the casino for a few hours and I decided to go to my room for a quick nap. Well here is where the real fun began. I lifted the duvet and put my hand down on the mattress to get into bed.....IT WAS WET...not only was it wet...IT WAS YELLOW!!!!!!! Someone had pissed the bed and the cleaner just made the bed over it. (mind you this was about 11 at night so there was no chance in hell that when he made the bed at 10 am that he did not see it, since it was still wet over 12 hours later. I went downstairs to get a new room and i basically had to tell them to check the video (I was in casino, restaurant, casino) I was only in my room 10 minutes during the day to drop off my luggage before they called security to come to my room so they could "see what I am talking about". After much arguing I was given another room. I was told my luggage would be moved for me. I went back to the casino and went back to my new room at 2:30 in the morning to find my luggage was still in the old room. I walked down the hallway and ran into a crew member and I am in the middle of telling him I needed access to the old room and as I was talking to him he turned and went into a crew only area, totally ignoring me. I grabbed a house phone and called the front desk and she promised to send someone up. As I am hanging up the phone the same guy comes down the hallway. I AGAIN ask him for help and he says to me "well where is your room key?" I wanted to flip on the guy but before I had the chance the other man came to the room to help move my stuff. I wound up lugging my stuff to the other room. I finally got to bed after 3 in the morning.

When I got up in the morning I went to get into the shower but changed my mind when I looked at the bottom of the shower and there was a wet, moldy towel at the bottom of it. I suggest they train their personnel on the 4th deck on how to clean a room. I cannot believe that they had the audacity to add a 12 service charge to my room for that kind of service I could have stayed in a roach motel and still had the same level of service. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>