Carnival Dream Cruise Review by LuckyUs3: Disappointed in the Dream and Carnival

LuckyUs3
Member Since 2000

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Disappointed in the Dream and Carnival

Sail Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was our 5th cruise; 2nd one on Carnival. Boy, what a disappointment to find that while making the ship larger, they kept the Encore room and many other rooms the same size as the Conquest. The Conquest was our last cruise and we loved every minute. We loved Todd and how active and involved he was. Not this time though. He was seen a few times a day, as was his assistant. Entertainment was very amateur. The ventriloquist and juggler were way below what one would expect.

The food.. well, things that were on the main dining menu as choices were only on the Steak House menu where you had to pay $30 a person to eat. Food was never hot. Room Service was a joke most days. My own personal problem was they allow smoking now in certain areas AND in your cabins. So, if u r highly allergic to smoke like me, you will have to inquire for a non-smoking cabin now? Unreal! The casino smelled horrible. If we had been able to find a spot (because casino is too small for the amt of people More they book, making that impossible), I wouldn't have been able to play even on the non smoking side, which was a joke. I always love the piano bar. This time, I couldn't even go. It REEKED with smoke even outside the bar. Don't they realize that people were going in there just to smoke even when it wasn't open. Is this smoking thing for the Dream or is it all of Carnival cruise line ships? AWFUL! It took us 3 days to get our mini fridge unlocked after asking numerous times. We never saw our cabin steward so he was replaced. The second one was very good.

No San Juan was a disappointment as we had already made plans and this was only place that I could make phone calls to family from. But wait... we did receive $20 bucks back from the taxes San Juan would have charged us. Thing is, Carnival failed big time by not finding out way ahead of time if we could dock or now.

I'm not sure if I will travel with Carnival again. I really did love the Conquest, but if this smoking thing is allowed on all their ships now, then it's a definite no. We've already planned cruises with RC and Holland since getting off of the Dream. For sure, we will never cruise on the Dream again and would never recommend her to anyone. There was nice and helpful staff and some were sour and acted as though they didn't care. Forgot the mention the last night. The Farewell Party. Let's get ALL of these guest into a room that seats 400 guest and give them free drinks. So many people couldn't even get in. On the Conquest the for the Captains dinner, we were able to spread out in several rooms and were offered real drinks. This time champagne, beer and wine was it. Putt putt an d the slide were fun. The best part of the trip (while on board) was watching the SEC football game on the lido deck on the big screen. Thank you Todd for arranging that. I can only hope for future cruisers that they get better at things, but they certainly can't change the size. Almost 4,000 guest cannot fit into a 1400 seat Encore for the show. Even when it's shown twice. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

(5.5)
BEAUTIFUL!! We took a catamaran to a private beach. Swam, snorkeled and had a great lunch. It wasn't a very good place to snorkel but was still fun. The catamaran ride to and from was the best part. I believe this was called "Best of Antigua" through Carnival.

Read 801 Antigua Reviews

In Grand Turk we had planned to only get off the ship and do the beach and huge swimming pool at Margaritaville. I'm so glad we decided to snorkel there too. We booked it through the ship and it was awesome. We were taken to two different spots. The second one was very special. They fed the fish to get them to come to us and right there was a 7,000 foot drop off. Scary in a way, yet totally awesome. After snorkeling, we also did Margaritaville lunch, shopped at the port shops and did the beach. It was really a nice relaxing day.

This was our favorite port. We actually booked a tour on our own and it was fantastic. I would highly recommend Sunny Liston Tours. We had a blast. We went shopping, sightseeing, and then had beach time. He even let you pick the beach you wanted to go to.

Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews

(5.5)
This was another Carnival excursion; "Best of Tortola". We meet up with a guy that took us on sightseeing tour and to the beach. Beautiful place.

Read 501 Tortola Reviews