Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Sakamochi: Wonderful Radiance - But we were Mugged in Acapulco

Sakamochi
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Radiance of the Seas Mexican Riviera Cruises

Wonderful Radiance - But we were Mugged in Acapulco

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

I'm going to be a bit brief on the trip review here - fellow cruiser Aquahound did a great description which I can do little to improve on.

We drove over to San Diego from Phoenix area and stayed at the Best Western Bayside Inn on Ash Street. We have stayed there before and will again - why? - Walking distance to just about any touristy thing you would like to see or do - We always get excellent service and a great view room. The hotel manager (Sylvia Cornejo) knows us by name when we arrive - and we park in an enclosed secure parking garage for the duration of the cruise for FREE - yes free. And the shuttle to and fro the ship is .. - you guessed it - FREE. Also FREE breakfast - and not the cold bagel and coffee type either! Yes they give AAA and other discounts.

The Cabin we stayed in (1060) has probably the largest balcony on the ship. I got into a discussion with a Royal Suite passenger who insisted that the RS balcony is the BIGGEST. Not so, we've been in the RS More on this ship. 1060 is on the bump with TWO full size windows/patio door and the balcony extends out about 12 feet on the "fat part". You can stand at the bulkhead railing and look aft and see into every balcony all the way back. There are two deck recliner chairs and three regular chairs plus a table and you could still do a waltz with all the space. Although next to the centrum elevators, we heard nary a sound all cruise. The Concierge lounge is mere steps away and the Windjammer is up the stairs one deck. We really liked this cabin. The service we received from our cabin attendant was superb (Stephen) - we are very late risers and somehow he still got the cabin tidied up!

On board Georgina was our concierge - she was a great help. My wife is fluent in spanish which is a big help - however ......

We - and especially my wife - were mugged on the street in front of the ship on December 5th at 1 PM. WE STRONGLY recommend going on organized tours. YES - my wife is the "earring lady" that was mugged - one of TWO incidents that day involving Radiance passengers in Acapulco!!! Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas Grand Suite with Balcony Deck 10 1060

The Cabin we stayed in (1060) has probably the largest balcony on the ship. I got into a discussion with a Royal Suite passenger who insisted that the RS balcony is the BIGGEST. Not so, we've been in the RS on this ship. 1060 is on the bump with TWO full size windows/patio door and the balcony extends out about 12 feet on the "fat part". You can stand at the bulkhead railing and look aft and see into every balcony all the way back. There are two deck recliner chairs and three regular chairs plus a table and you could still do a waltz with all the space. Although next to the centrum elevators, we heard nary a sound all cruise. The Concierge lounge is mere steps away and the Windjammer is up the stairs one deck. We really liked this cabin. The service we received from our cabin attendant was superb (Stephen) - we are very late risers and somehow he still got the cabin tidied up!

The main event!

In Acapulco we decided to get off the ship - we've been there before and just weanted to stretch our legs and walk across to see the old fort. As others noticed and reported there was a "Tuner's Car" show in front of the ship. Police presence was heavy - 8-10 motor officers. We went across the street (over the bridgeway) and visited the fort. There were gov't guides there and that was a nice time. My wife asked about where we could walk to see a little bit by the ocean and the guides cautioned against going left (towards the hotel zone) due to potential purse snatchers, etc. We elected to go right. We crossed the bridge - you could see our cabin on the ship - its that close to the street! We walked on the sidewalk along the import/export car impound garage for about 100 yards. There were people local and ships passengers here and there along the way - not many however. We were looking around when my wife suddenly yelled and dropped to the ground - right next to me. Two young men had run up behind her and pulled their hands over her face from behind - their intent to strip earrings by ripping and clawing at a her neck for a tiny chain. This took all of about 3-4 seconds and they raced across the 4 lane divided road towards the OXXO store and disappeared. My wife was stunned and upset to say the least, and I to a similar, if lesser degree, The muggers got one earring and broke a sunglass holder string in their assault.

My wife and I have travelled the world - and know how to be a "non-target" and at low risk. We carry less than 100$ - in a "belly band" wallet. No credit cards, Seapass and a dupicate driver license. Stay in public areas. Don't wander away, etc. Don't wear or take jewelry on the ship - especially off the ship. We never thought about the earrings - which were tiny - could fit around a pencil eraser. They were real gold, however. For all the muggers knew, they could be gold plate from Walmart (BTW That is where the other assault happened to a crewmember that day).

My wife was lucky that the earrings were the wire and pinch variety - if they were the post type she would ve had her earlobes ripped apart. She suffered some abrasions.

We turned around and headed back to the ship. Within two minutes we came upon a female port authority police woman on an electric tricycle. Of course we stopped and told her what happened just moments before. In english. And spanish. She said "that's too bad. Don't file a report because nothing can be done. I cannot help you".

After re-boarding I went to guest relations. I was told to make a handwriiten report, which I did in detail (one assailant can be seen in my pictures taken earlier at the car show by the way). I turned the account in around 3:30 PM. The ship reported this and a police chief came aboard to talk to us but we were in the loud pool area nad never heard the pages for our names. We received a followup copy from Radiance guest relations sent to the Acapulco police and acknowlegement from Acapulco and that was it.

In summary:

We think that Mexico is getting worse in terms of safety. We don't hold Royal Caribbean liable in any way Don't wear any jewelry off the ship. Travel in packs Tell others this "story"

Read 149 Acapulco Reviews

Been there multiple times - have friends that live there - this time we walked around the Marina and had beer and food at "No Worrys" - beers are pretty cheap (dollar 63 or something). The vendors hawkers tour providers are really terribly loud and insistant as you exit the ship. It always strikes me strange that they act indignant when they are ignored. I pretend that I can't understand them but my wife always strikes up a convesation in spanish with them.....The glass bottom boat guy turned out to have a brother in law who lives in Mesa AZ doing tile work. No, we did'nt take the tour and all our tile work is done already.....

Always delightful. Spend ten bucks and go around the corner to La Ropa beach to La Perla restaurant. Clean, buckets of beer, good and very cheap food, buckets of beer, NO VENDORS to speak of, Sit and look at the ship in the bay.

Took a taxi for the day - $100 - a little steep but we had it all day. Went to restaurant on the other side of the gold zone - "Bar La Costa". Locals eat there. On the ocean. Singing waiters. Mariachi. Snapper veracruzana (the kind that is the "whole fish"). Extremely reasonable.

Read 289 Mazatlan Reviews

Concierge Georgina's home town. She recommended "Mero's" which is in walking distance. Food good - but even with my wifes help they're accuracy was about 10% in getting what we wanted. Super clean and very good quality. Medium priced.