Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by NolaGirl99: Cruise for Christmas!

NolaGirl99
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Cruise for Christmas!

Sail Date: December 2009
Embarkation: New Orleans

We were given this cruise as a gift from the in-laws and traveled with the entire extended family. We all live in New Orleans. My family cruises often. Most recently on the Disney Wonder in July. We have been looking forward to the Triumph as we did not like the Fantasy. I prefer a balcony cabin. I like to see where I am going and I am not a people person. I like to sun and read by myself on my balcony. I have a family of joiners who run the ship all day and night and check in on me. It works well for us! We LOVE the convenience of cruising out of New Orleans YEAH!!! No flying just a 15 minute drive from home. Can't beat it!

Embarkation- Since I am a native New Orleanian I do not mind saying I am embarrassed for us! WHAT A MESS! The lines to go through the x ray machines were moving so slowly I thought they may have been going backwards at some points. Only two lanes were open, I saw only one person actually trying to get the LONG line moving. It took an hour and a half to More get to the counter to check in. From this point everyone was working harder to get us through. Then I was shocked to see I actually walked right past the ship's photographers without being stopped and harassed to take a picture. This has never happened to me before ever! I later realized this was typical behavior for crew. Pretty low energy. ( Except for the Fun Crew ) Then for some reason boarding was delayed until 1pm. All 3,000 of us were smashed in liked sardines waiting to board the ship! At least our cabins were ready when we finally got on the ship.

Since our last cruise was with Disney maybe my expectations for service and shows were a little too high. I may have been too spoiled in July. I was underwhelmed overall by the service and entertainment on the Triumph. As I mentioned previously we slipped right past the photographers. Our dining team was "nice", the shows were just okay. One day I my daughter slept late and my room had not been made up. Around noon I ran into the room steward in the hall and said my daughter is out and about, I will get out of the way if you want to get in to make up my room. He said he was off duty and I would have to wait until nighttime cleaning. I blew it off, life is too short but again this has NEVER happened to me on a cruise. My kids were peeved because there was only one ping pong table. One day they waited an hour for a turn. Would I cruise on the Triumph again? ABSOLUTELY, Because it is in my backyard, It has balconies! Debarkation was so easy. We did self assist and were home by 8:30 am! I had fun with my family. It was free! If I wanted a really nice cruise on a really nice ship I would not go on the Triumph I am sorry to say. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Balcony Upper 6290

Nice location for not feeling movement of ship-- Noisy bar under cabin can hear yelling during sports events--not usually late nights however....

I have been here many times it is always fun! We did the dolphin swim It was very nice! They have added lunch option with swim. Lunch was fun with beautiful views of dolphins.

Read 3102 Cozumel Reviews

We did not do a shore excursion. We went to the beach on our own. We may have done better to book the $40.00 per person beach party if it kept the vendors away. We were pestered nonstop to buy gum, bracelets, shirts, massages, hair braiding, etc. We could not even talk to each other on the beach. (Cheap beer however!) I don't know why Carnival stops here--this was not fun!

Read 284 Progreso Reviews