Carnival Dream Cruise Review by kahb74: Carnival's Dream Mediocre

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival's Dream Mediocre

Sail Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Our cruise was the inaugural sailing out of Cape Canaveral, the Dreams home port. This was my 5th cruise (3rd Carnival) the other two included 1 NCL & 1 Disney. Knew what to expect but had GREAT expectations of the new ship.

Food - In general very pleased with the quality of food in the Scarlett Dining Room. Waiter was wonderful although dinner took almost 2 hours every night. Chef's Art Steakhouse was worth the $60.00 for my husband & myself. The lines for hamburgers/hotdogs, salads, etc on the Lido deck were ridiculous. The Pasta bar upstairs was a joke: either too slow, said was closed for 10 minutes for cleaning or supposedly no tables available when clearly plenty of empty tables.

Room - Nice room & clean but a little cramped with no place to store luggage if it didn't fit under the bed. Kids were happy with their bunks. Bathroom was quite small. Room steward was wonderful & knew our schedule after the first day.

Customer Service - More cruise director daily stated to let everyone know how they're doing. You try to approach them especially the entertainment staff and they couldn't be bothered.

Tenders to Belize - Worst ever. Had to take tenders and our ship was 8 miles out. However - we never made it there. My husband fell down the steps with son in tow. No one offered to help, we seemed to be the problem as holding up the line trying to get back onto the ship to go to the infirmary. Of course that was after waiting an hour and a half to even try to get on the tender. Infirmary nurse was rude.

Cozumel - good

Isla Roatan - beautiful & would love to go back. Free beach (Mohagony Beach) to the right of the pier (not advertised).

Costa Maya - ok - basically got off ship to shop & went back so I would have preferred another port or wouldn't have wasted my time getting off the ship at all. not worth it.

Entertainment - Adult comedy shows & dance shows were good. Fun force was wonderful & Dancing in the Street show was spectacular. Had stupid hairy chest competitions etc. on the Lido deck. Ice carver was neat to watch.

Pools - definitely not big enough for the amount of people on the ship.

Camp Carnival - my 10 year old daughter loved Camp Carnival especially the party from 10-3:30am. 4 year old son did not attend camp at all.

Overall the ship was nice (as it should be since it's brand new). A majority of the employees are lacking customer service. Slightly decorated for Christmas. Seemed to be understaffed for the amount of guests on board at 4200 which was pretty close to the 4600 max capacity passengers. I would have to say there are several kinks that need to be worked out however the gift shop worked stated most of the employees came from other ships so I would have thought the ship would have "sailed" a little smoother (and it has nothing to do with the water). In general we had a good time. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Upper 6420

6420 - great location & great views. semed to luck out and were port side so had wonderful views from the baloncy when docked. lacking drawer space for 2 adults & 2 kids