Costa Allegra Cruise Review by feebee3

Member Name: feebee3
Cruise Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Singapore
Destination: Asia
See More About: Costa Allegra Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Costa Allegra Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Allegra Deck Plans
Crew Saves the Cruise
I had wanted to see Bali--so I booked this cruise thinking the other ports would be interesting. All materials stated that US$ would be the currency, but euros were used. Cokes and water were around $3.50 each, tap water was decidedly yellow suggesting persistent contamination, buffet area seating was very cramped and food tepid, pork and beef tended to be tough and tasteless, dishes were misnamed and difficult to interpret--BUT a great crew went the extra mile to accommodate and make up for the deficiencies. They attempted to find a cabin that didn't have contaminated water, helped me deal with details that would include me more completely in opportunities and were so pleasant I felt like the deficiencies weren't so important. ALSO the shows were quite good, particularly considering the small ship. The singers and dancers were among the best I've seen on cruises--even in ships much larger.

Some surprises: Stroganoff with a tomato base and no sour cream, Romanov sauce for sundaes was straight vodka instead of a cream sauce. Food descriptions weren't very accurate. I felt they were attempting to be pretentious when a straight-forward description would have been quite adequate. The Bali excursion--what I'd wanted to see most--was very disappointing, several stops advertised weren't included and we were inundated by aggressive street hawkers. The cruise began in Singapore and we didn't leave until the 3rd day of cruise. That day would have been better scheduled in Bali. The port in Port Klang was in the middle of nowhere. Bali and Jakarta dockings were also remote. The Makassar docking put one in the middle of things. I had 24 hour flights to get to the cruise and wonder if the wear and tear was worth the cruise I received.

Publication Date: 12/31/09