Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by jd1966: Freedom of the Seas

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Freedom of the Seas

Sail Date: August 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Ship sailing was Aug. 30 - Sept. 6 out of Port Canaveral Florida. We came in a day early and stayed at the Country Inn and Suites which is within sight of the cruise ships. We used the rental car shuttle to get to the ship and only had about a fifteen minute wait.

Embarkation was easy and we were on board by about 12:30. We chose this cruise specifically to sail on the Freedom and we were not disappointed. It is a huge, beautiful ship with just about every amenity you could ask for. We seldom felt crowded despite the large number of passengers and were able to get around the ship quite easily.

The rooms were nothing special and this class of ship has not made many improvements on the size of the bathrooms. I guess we have been spoiled by the large showers on the Celebrity Millennium class of ships. Since my 88 year old mother was along with us, we selected a room location in the forward section of the ship near the forward elevators (best kept secret on the ship). More

The service we received was excellent from the MDR staff to the housekeeping staff. I also managed to leave my camera in the casino and was quickly able to recover it at Guest Services. Our table waiter (from India) and assistant waiter (from Indonesia) were excellent. One evening our table mates (who are big fans of Indian cuisine) were discussing a special dish they were very fond of. Well, next night he had the dish made special for them as an "appetizer"! That's customer service! We thought the shows were excellent as always.

Labadee Haiti

This was our first time in Labadee and I must say we were pleasantly surprised. I had envisioned crowded beaches due to the large number of passengers but it never happened. We had our choice of locations and plenty of lounge chairs to choose from. There were a few vendors walking around but they took no for an answer. We also walked around the beaches and water park and enjoyed the barbeque cookout for lunch (nothing to write home about but well organized). It was quite a relaxing day. The dock was not completed yet so we were tendered to and from the ship with minimal delays.
Debarkation was as hectic and depressing as always but was very well organized. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Deck 6 8590

We did not take a shore excursion since my wife had some ideas on possible jewelry acquisitions and the mandatory t-shirts for the grandkids. We took a taxi to downtown for $7 (plus tip) each way. We were here several years ago about six weeks after Hurricane Wilma had devastated the island. They have replaced the piers and seem to have made an excellent recovery.

Read 3122 Cozumel Reviews

I'm not a big fan of Grand Cayman and this being our third time here wasn't a highlight of the cruise. We did go ashore (via tender) and did some serious shopping. My wife seemed to enjoy herself (of course!). I was able to get free wifi for my IPOD touch so I made contact with the world while my wife boosted the local economy.

Ocho Rios has a nice pier and it was relatively painless getting through the Jamaican authorities. We took the "Brimmer Hall Plantation and Dunn's River Falls" shore excursion.The trip to Brimmer Hall took over 45 minutes and took us through many towns and cities giving a view of the real Jamaica. Some places were a little "scary" and was glad that we didn't stop but there were also some beautiful views along the coast. At Brimmer we were assigned to a "Jitney" with a driver and tour guide and proceeded to tour the plantation. The guides were excellent and took time to demonstrate how to harvest the various produce and how it's used. It was very enjoyable. Brimmer Hall itself is quite old and in need of a little paint. We then took about an hour to get to Dunn's River Falls through most of the same areas. The falls were somewhat of a disappoinment for me mainly because it was so touristy and there were so many people climbing the falls. Maybe had we climbed it may have been more exciting (we're 62). The falls itself and the park area around it is beautiful and I found myself thinking that the falls would be better served as a pristine National Park as opposed to a huge money maker. We didn't do any shopping as the tour didn't leave alot of free time.