Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by cruiser1220: Eastern Run on the Liberty: FUN for ALL!!!!

cruiser1220
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Eastern Run on the Liberty: FUN for ALL!!!!

Sail Date: December 2009

Two years ago I had such a negative experience on the Valor that I told my TA I was done with Carnival. She told me about the Freedom and told me it would be great. It was so good, I thought no cruise would ever be able to outshine it. Last year some family members went on the Liberty and loved it. They wanted me to go with them this year and I told them I would love to go. This cruise went above and beyond the Freedom.

Embarkation: I think it was maybe 30 minutes maximum. The staff and passengers worked together with the common goal of getting everyone to the ship as quick as possible.

Cabin: Good enough for three people to be in there and move around. The balcony was nice and we had great views too. It was noisy, since the elevators were right there, and the 'ding' from them could be heard in the cabin. The ship rocked quite a bit throughout the cruise, especially the last day. You feel it a LOT at the top. I would suggest lower and mid ship.

The safety More briefing (aka lifeboat drill) was smooth. Long wait for all the people to arrive, but once everyone was there it went by quick. The Sail away party was great. Never have I seen an entertainment staff like this one! They went around the Lido and brought people to dance with them at the party. If they saw that you weren't participating they would go up and get you as well. Their goal was to make it the time of your life. Once we were out at sea, the rocking really began, to the point where you really had to watch where you were going (it was hard to maintain perfect balance). No, it was not just an adjustment period.

Lido (overall): The lines weren't as long as previous cruises for breakfast. For lunch it was a 20-45 minute wait for stir fry depending on what time you came, and about a 5-10 minute wait for the regular line. The food was decent, but compared to previous years it has gone down a little (quality wise).

Dining Room: The Golden Olympian Dining room was beautiful. Yusef was the Maitre'd. My waiter (I believe you spell it Krasmir) was great. Excellent service, quick, and very nice to talk to. His assistant was also wonderful. They would get someone from each table to join them in dancing for showtime at the dining room. The food quality in the dining room is excellent!

Entertainment Staff: The Cruise Director, Butch, made us feel as if we were the most important part of the cruise. The last day of sea, at his debarkation talk, he told us that the day was dedicated to us and to go out there and have fun. Butch was an amazing cruise director and I highly recommend him. You see him all around the ship, he loves talking with the passengers and just being around them. You see his excitement and the fun he has and realize he loves his job. He referred to everyone as Carnival Liberty Family, and at the end when he introduced his staff you could see that these people really were like family from how close they were. Butch's entertainment staff is superb! Rick and Rosie made the cruise fun. They were part of the group that would not let you stay in your seat for too long.

Entertainment: The production shows were okay, not great. Unfortunately the dancers were off quite a bit in the first seating of the first show (could be due to the heavy rocking of the ship, not entirely sure). Singing with the Big Band was great! There is a part where you can take pictures during that show so take your cameras. The last show, a tribute to rock and roll, was good. I enjoyed some numbers so much I popped in and out of the second seating to see them again. There was a group called the Village Idiots. Funny guys, good act. Phat Cat was good, and the hypnotist was okay.

Spa: The use of the steam, sauna, and gym are free on this ship. I was looking forward to using the whirlpool in the spa but I found that instead of the whirlpool they now had an additional shower area. The steam room was broken for most of the trip, but the sauna and gym were open and there was never a wait for them.

Themed Nights: There was Mardi Gras night with beads,the music and the limbo contests, 80's night, a tribute to Michael Jackson, and the Fun Hop night. Even Butch got into the Fun Hop spirit. The dancing, singing, and lido deck party are not to be missed! Fun for all members of the family.

Activities: Trivia and bean bag toss are classics. The staff added battle of the sexes, survivor Liberty style with the last man/woman standing, and not to be missed, Butch's disco dancing class. For the adults (18+) there is an adults only scavenger hunt.

Ship Movement: The ship started rocking pretty bad after we left Miami. It got slightly better some days but it was noticeable throughout the cruise. On the last night there was a rough storm (lightning and all). At one point the ship made a sharp turn. I was in my cabin and I saw everything on the vanity flew to the right and the stuff at the end fell to the floor. A friend of mine was at dinner and she said everything was falling off the tables and shattering on the floor. Some guests said the water from the pools on the Lido deck came out of the pool and into the Lido buffet. I went up later on to get something to drink and the restaurant was closed, and all the waiters were cleaning up. Butch came on the PA and apologized for the sudden sharp turn, but said the captain determined it was necessary to avoid the heavy part of the storm and another turn would follow in an hour or so. We had the Destiny on one side and the Pearl on the other. From the Promenade you could see the waves hitting the Destiny. Many people stayed in their cabins, to the point where the Legends show, which is normally packed to capacity, had plenty of seating available on all floors.

Overall, would I do it again? Most definitely, and in a heartbeat! There were minor issues here and there, but that's in every vacation. The crew aboard the Liberty is extremely friendly, hospitable, and far superior than any other crew I have seen on previous cruises. They take you in for a week and make you feel like you are part of their family.

Happy sailing! Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Panorama 1065

Great balcony, nice views, noisy in the hallways, since the elevators are right there and you can hear the 'ding' the elevators make all the time. Enough space for 3 people.

Grand Turk is another beach stop. Some people took tours with the ship or with taxi companies. We stayed in the area the ship docked at. The water was cold so we did not go for a swim. There are two pools in Margaritaville and the Flow Rider attraction is there as well. If someone in your party does the Flow Rider experience it is beautiful for photography, as the ship is behind the Flow Rider, so you get the surfer, the word Flow Rider, and the ship behind. I think we were down for an hour max. We did not enjoy Grand Turk too much, but that's just us.

We went to Half Moon Cay, the private Island in the Bahamas. Since it wasn't an option I said Nassau, but it is HALF MOON CAY.

BEAUTIFUL turquoise water! It was cold because of the time of year, but it was still nice enough to enjoy the water, and with the sun shining and hot weather, a cool dip felt great! Not much to do here except enjoy the beach. I would recommend renting the shade and lounge chairs ($17). There is an island bbq for lunch. Not the best food though. I had a hot dog, which was great. I traveled with 2 family members. One had a cheeseburger that came out extremely burnt and the other had chicken. The chicken was raw on the inside. Happened to other guests as well. The waiters apologized for this and said if anyone got sick to please report it to the ship (?) Great solution, no? Other than that minor incident, the island time was fantastic. There are ferries that take you to and from the ship so you are free to come and go as you please.

Read 2662 Nassau Reviews

This was my first time Puerto Rico. I have heard from lots of people that Puerto Rico is not the best port, but then again, they went at night. I did not listen to them and boy am I glad! The Liberty went during the day and it was beautiful. To me, Puerto Rico is a mix of New York and Miami. We took a tour with a company who was advertising right outside the pier. For $10 pp we took our tour, went to old San Juan, New San Juan, went to the forts, a nice beach, and our tour guide took us to great spots to take pictures. The tour guide dropped us off in the San Cristobal Square (located in the "heart" of the shopping district in Old San Juan). It was a short walk back to the ship from there. They give a free Blue Shot coupon to you by the pier for Senor Frogs, but if you are traveling with someone who looks under 30 tell them to be prepared to show ID. NOTE: Take photo ID with you. For security reasons they WILL NOT let you back into the pier without seeing photo id and your sail and sigh card.

Read 1376 San Juan Reviews

This is my 5th time in St. Thomas. It was the first and LAST time I take one a shore excursion with the ship. The colonial St. Thomas trip was horrible. You go to an inn and that's it. They say it's moderate walking, but no where do they mention you need to walk 99 steps (yes, that's correct) to get downtown. Oh, and taxis do not like going up to the inn, so you must walk. If you are with someone who can walk moderate but NOT 99 steps, do NOT take this tour. On top of the 99 steps there are many staircases throughout the inn. Now that you know what NOT to do, downtown was nice, great shopping as well. It is one of the best places in the Caribbean for shopping! We were told that Top Mountain (the tallest mountain) was under a huge fire in the past year and they were going to rebuild it for next year. On the ship I purchased a separate excursion for Paradise Point. This is an attraction on it's own, so you can buy tickets on the ship or once there. I'm glad I purchased on the ship. It was under $20 on the ship vs $22 in St.Thomas. You don't feel the ride up at all! Breathtaking views of the whole island, and if you are big on photography or just want to take pictures or see the island from high up, I strongly recommend this one.

Read 2340 St. Thomas Reviews