Ryndam Cruise Review by Florida-Lady

Member Name: Florida-Lady
Cruise Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: DA
See More About: Ryndam Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms Not Rated

Ship Facts: Ryndam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ryndam Deck Plans
Christmas Cruise
I just got back from our Christmas Cruise. It was my 10. Cruise, but my first one with Holland America Line. I was very excited, because I heard many positiv things about them.

Now, the Ship is quite old and that's why we unfortunately had no balcony in our stateroom which was a real loss !

The food was realy excellent and for everybodys taste was enoug food available. The only poor thing about that was the breakfast which was not a buffet and only partialment self sevice. No bread election and a very confusing arrangement.

The best coffee you got in the diningroom after dinner for free. Necessarily order a double Expresso and you will get what a real good regular Starbucks Coffee is.

The entertainment was moderate, but there was one big highlight and this was the Piano Bar The Gay who sings and plays the piano, is a real treasure for the ship.

The average age of the passengers was about 45, and this not least because it was the Christmas week. Many children and tenagers were on this cruise with theire entire families

Now, I have to tell you that there is one really huge problem on that ship ! There is no supervisor on the Lido Deck watching the pool. And this would be so much nessecary, especially over Christmas when so many children are sharing the pool and the Jaccuzzis with you.

The rules on the Lido Deck are the same as they are on all crusiships : No jumping, running, splashing and stay not more then 15 Min. in the Jaccuzzi Children musst be accompained by an adult ! Sounds great, but forget about this rules if nobody whatches if people follows them.

My experience from this cruise was awful. I'm horrified about the impertinence of some parents who introduce theire children not to care about other guests, about a hord of children running, splashing and screeming while never had any upbringing in theire life. I'm horrified about parents which took the Jaccuzzi for hours as a meetingpoint to chat and to wash theire feet. When ever we tried to get into the Jaccuzzi they didn't move theire bodies, not even for one single inch. My effort to talk to this people was ending, with their comment, that they would have paid a lot of money for the cruise and that they find it as selfunderstanding to take those facilities for them.

I'm 59 and I got to hear, that elderly people shoud stay out of the Jaccuzzi. Instead therire children could jump and dive into the Jaccuzzi all day long !

Complains at the front Desk of other annoyed passengers were constantly ignored with the words, children can all do as long as parents agree with ! But what about, if parents didn't have any upbringing either ?

I never ever had such a bad experience on any other cruiseship ! And that's the reason why I never again will book a stateroom without balcony ! And probabely not anymore on thise ship !

Publication Date: 12/29/09