Celebrity Century Cruise Review by sandrak507: Mother-Daughter Cruise for the Holidays

sandrak507
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Mother-Daughter Cruise for the Holidays

Sail Date: December 2009

My daughter and I selected the Century based on the cruise reviews read here on Cruise Critic. The food was excellent and the service outstanding. The Murano was outstanding, although the food in the Grand Restaraunt was also fabulous. We were in a Century Suite. If you are a smoker, the Century suite is the way to go as you can take the stairs up one flight to the Sunset bar, the only place you can smoke that I am aware of on the ship. The down side is you are on the aft and you can bet every morning you are docking or coming to port you will be woke up early by the ships engines churning you awake. The Balcony was much larger than advertised. I was suprised to find out they were atleast 3 times the size we were promised with padded lounge chairs in addition to the table with two chairs. We usually had our breakfest on the Balcony with room service. The Century, I am told, is the oldest ship in the Celebrity fleet. You will not be disappointed however, if you are looking for an More intimate quite cruise for you and your loved one, perhaps minus the crowds of the new larger party vessels. I found the spa exercise area to be more than adequate with new equipment. It was perhaps crowded the first couple days, but I didn't have to wait long for a piece of cardio equipment to be available (I didn't come on board to get in shape any how, so much as work off the calories I just consumed). Buffet was always wonderful with many cheese selections. (once again, if you are on the penthouse deck, the buffet and sunset loung are just one floor up.) I would definitely do this cruise again. The shows were good. This was my third cruise so I can only compare to the Norwegian Jewel, who had the best shows of all cruises I have taken and the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas, who needed to pull the feeding bag off a couple of their singers.....who were quite talented and could sing circles around the Centuries performers.....but just a bit larger than I am used to...am I being a bit unkind? There is give and take in every cruise. Average age cruiser on the Century is 40-60plus age group so this is not a party cruise, but a great place to go if you want great food, to be surrounded by couples, to read a good book you have wanted to for a long time in the peace and quite of your room, and relax with someone you love. Alcohol prices were reasonable, no more than you would pay in any restaraunt. If you went with the daily specials it was $5 drink. A bottle of wine was usually around $40 if you didn't go too extravagant. We did prepaid gratuities so I was disappointed in the end that I was not able to give extra to the great service I received from my Butler and Wait staff like on previous crusies. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century 1141

Room 1141 Celebrity Century. Not alot of privacy being just below the Sunset lounge, but great if you are a smoker as the stairs are close by and it is just one floor up. Room is exceptional, balcony large, but often wet from being cleaned off perhaps....many puddles on the deck. I'm sure they would have dried them if I would have asked, but it was usually very warm on the balcony and I couldn't take the heat for very long so I would take my book and read in my room most of the day. Good movie selection. Butler service is wonderful.

Very relaxing. Shopping was good. Most shops were in US dollars. You didn't have to deal with a million taxi drivers like in Jamaica. People weren't approaching you making you uncomfortable as though their children would have no food on the table if you didn't buy the t-shirt. Much more relaxing and enjoyable.

Either do an excursion or stay on the ship. You will be asked every 5 feet you step, "Do you want a taxi Man!" It was annoying. I just wanted to get some Blue mountain coffee. Margaritaville was a bit of a disappointment. We ordered two Margaritas at the cost of $32 that were more ice than alcohol. The poverty of the area was depressing. I felt bad that I could not help them. I didn't need a taxi, I just needed coffee.