Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Dotypet

Member Name: Dotypet
Cruise Date: November 2009
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Mexican Riviera
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Cruising Culture Shock
As they say, "It ain't like the old days." Probably take us another 25 years before we cruise again . . . and I don't think we have that long! Let me be brief . .Personnel terrific, boarding process horrific, stateroom o.k. but we paid for a balcony and got . . .well, I'm not sure what it was. Twelve inches deep as you stepped out the door and the other end of balcony less than thirty inches. Two tiny chairs . . no table . . no room for sipping coffee or eating breakfast. Stay away from Stateroom 8590 or that stateroom on any other deck. It's midship, near the curve of the ship. When I complained to RC upon our return, I was told that was something our agent should have known. I went back to website and I'll be darned if I can find the dimensions of this "balcony" anywhere on the website. I should mention that we had already unpacked two large suitcases before we took a peek at balcony, so decided to stay put rather than have to pack and repack in another stateroom.

No table assignment when we reported for dinner that evening. Again, they blamed this on our travel agent. A travel agent assiging the table you're going to sit at? I don't think so. When we finally assigned another table, it wasn't even in dining room, but a small ante-room where, we were told, officers ate their breakfast and lunches. Staff fine, company fine, but it was also the room where waiters bussed the dirty dishes from main dining room.

Food in dining room . . not like the old days. Onion and Brie tart as a main course choice? Chops and Portofino were great.

I miss the days when their were waiters everywhere on decks, around the pools, carrying trays of exotic drinks . . .for free . . . fresh fruit and breakfast buffets out on deck, etc. Now, we felt nickled and dimed to death.

And have you seen the prices on the excusions??

Guess cruising is not for us anymore. I had hoped it would be, but we'll stick with our escorted tours.

Publication Date: 12/29/09