Westerdam 4

“Traveling with elderly Parents....”
Cruise review of Holland America Westerdam

bryanjaync
Member Since 2004
1,053 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Sailed on the Westerdam in December for seven days to Aruba, Curacao and HMC. My partner and I took my parents (in their 80s) with us for the first time. Had two SY cabins.

Shows: The two production shows were the best I have seen on a cruise. Good choregraphy, costumes and sets. Interestingly, the cast boarded the same day we did, and they did an amazing job for it being their first week. Joel Mason did the Elton John and Eagles show. We went to Elton show, but left after the second song. (Not every gay person is an Elton fan.) Did not see other shows.

Food: Good throughout the ship's dining areas. We had open seating and it worked well. Just showed up around 6:15, and got the same table every night. No issues, no problems. BUT, the first night (embarkation) was a diaster at the MDR, with long lines even if you had a reservation. We bailed and went to the BBQ on deck. But, after the first night, no other problems at all. Did the Lido a couple of nights, and the More had mostly the same entrees as the dining room, but much quicker and still a good atomoshphere.

Aruba: Did a private island tour with Cerry, a local guide. I HIGHLY recommend it. Saw lots of the tourist things, and the local areas too. He was on time, well informed, and friendly. His SUV had plenty of room for 4 adults. At $40 an hour (total, not per person), it was a bargain compared to cruise excursions. Plus,with my parents, we could set our own pace. Cerry, at pitaruba.com, is great !

Holland is still a great line, and the service, including the front desk was wonderful. Less

Westerdam Cruises to the Southern Caribbean

Published 12/27/09

Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review

Westerdam Cruises to the Southern Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?