Westerdam Cruise Review by bryanjaync: Traveling with elderly Parents....

bryanjaync
Member Since 2004

Compare Prices on Westerdam Southern Caribbean Cruises

Traveling with elderly Parents....

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Sailed on the Westerdam in December for seven days to Aruba, Curacao and HMC. My partner and I took my parents (in their 80s) with us for the first time. Had two SY cabins.

Shows: The two production shows were the best I have seen on a cruise. Good choregraphy, costumes and sets. Interestingly, the cast boarded the same day we did, and they did an amazing job for it being their first week. Joel Mason did the Elton John and Eagles show. We went to Elton show, but left after the second song. (Not every gay person is an Elton fan.) Did not see other shows.

Food: Good throughout the ship's dining areas. We had open seating and it worked well. Just showed up around 6:15, and got the same table every night. No issues, no problems. BUT, the first night (embarkation) was a diaster at the MDR, with long lines even if you had a reservation. We bailed and went to the BBQ on deck. But, after the first night, no other problems at all. Did the Lido a couple of nights, and the More had mostly the same entrees as the dining room, but much quicker and still a good atomoshphere.

Aruba: Did a private island tour with Cerry, a local guide. I HIGHLY recommend it. Saw lots of the tourist things, and the local areas too. He was on time, well informed, and friendly. His SUV had plenty of room for 4 adults. At $40 an hour (total, not per person), it was a bargain compared to cruise excursions. Plus,with my parents, we could set our own pace. Cerry, at pitaruba.com, is great !

Holland is still a great line, and the service, including the front desk was wonderful. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>