Carnival Victory Cruise Review by SunnyBeachLove: Wonderful Week - Great Cruise!

SunnyBeachLove
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful Week - Great Cruise!

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

My fiance and I (both 26) left on Sunday 11/8/09 for our cruise on the Victory. I had researched quite a bit before we left since this itinerary is quite busy - I wanted to make sure we were somewhat prepared!

Flying into San Juan from Baltimore was a piece of cake (yay for direct flights!), we arrived at the airport around 1:00pm. We had purchased the airport transfer through Carnival, so we collected our bags and met with them. Getting to the port was quick and easy, the transfer company took our luggage directly to the ship for us. Inside the terminal was much easier then we had expected! I was execting long lines, but we probably spent 30-40 mins. total in the cruise terminal between the front entrance and the screening area. We didn't buy alcohol like most people do in the terminal (we read tons of reviews that said you could buy bottles of liquor in the terminal, stick it in your bag, and have no problems going through security with it). We don't drink much, so we opted More out of trying that. We got right on the ship and tried going to our room - a Lido Deck Balcony Room (we LOVED it!). Rooms opened at 2:30pm, and it was about 2:15pm, so we hung out in the hallway for a few mins so we could drop off our carry-ons and go get some lunch.

The ship was pretty identical to the Triumph which I'd been on twice. I don't think the decor was all that bad like some people say, but that stuff also isn't a big deal to us either. We're there for the food, ports and experience, not the decor of the ship!! The ship was clean and easy to navigate (at least we thought so!) And I must add since so many people complain about the Puerto Ricans being rude - I REALLY didn't feel this was about them at all. There are always going to be rude people on cruises, take them with a grain of salt and don't let them ruin your trip - plain and simple! All in all, embarkation was pretty painless and we were happy with the amount of time it all took!! The muester (sp?) drill was awful! It seemed to take forever (we also got there right when they called it so that's probably why - take you're time going to it or you'll feel like you've been standing there for hours!!) Not to mention it was so hot and we were in the back row of about 4 or 5 rows - talk about claustrophobic! Dinner that night was after the drill and it was open seating, we got lucky and got to sit alone that night, which was a nice start to the trip!

For the rest of the cruise we got to sit with 3 other couples for dinner - all on their honeymoons!! The cruise line did an awesome job sitting us with a fun table of people all around our age! We got engaged in St. Thomas (the 1st port) on this cruise, so our table was pretty special that week! Our room steward was fantastic, and so were our head waiter and his assistant!

The shows were "ok" - nothing that impressive. We had the late seating dinner (we usually didn't finish until around 10pm) so a few of the nights we didn't even go to shows. We just walked around, possibly hit the casino, and went to bed early - especially if we had excursions the next day. This cruise is port heavy, so we enjoyed getting the extra sleep most nights and skipping the shows! We did see the comedian (pretty funny), magician (not very good), and one of the dancing shows (pretty similar to how they usually are).

Debarkation from the ship wasn't all that bad either. We waited a little longer then what our number was to get off the ship because our flight wasn't until 3:30pm. The room steward had to kick us out eventually, haha, but we just hung out in the lobby for a few mins. before we finally got off. We met the airport transfer outside and got right to the airport. Now this is where it turned ugly!! AirTran will not be getting our business for a LONG time because of our experience in the San Juan airport! First, PLEASE make sure you get your bags scanned and tagged at the USDA station near the front door before you get in line for your flight. We saw no signs anywhere telling us this and were already in line when we found out this needed to be done before they'd take your bags! Luckily, we held our spot in line while we took turns scanning our bags - make sure the sticker is put on them (ALL bags including carry-ons)!! We then proceeded to stand in line for almost THREE hours!!!! It was a nightmare! We got to the airport around 10:30am, and didn't even get to the ticket counter until almost 1:30! Apparently AirTran doesn't arrive to start checking people in until 2 or 3 hours before their earliest flight, which the earliest was around 2:30/3:00. So instead of getting there early and getting people checked in so we could go have lunch and SIT DOWN to wait for our flight, they let the line wrap around a good many times and loop almost out the front door of the airport! It was ridiculous how many people had to stand in line that long. And then we had to deal with some people who were trying to cut in the line and we thought a fist fight was about to break out right then and there between them and the people they were cutting in front of. I wrote AirTran a letter telling them how appalled I was with the way they ran their ticket counter in San Juan, it was disorganized and not well planned. They obviously know the cruise ships in port let passengers off at the same time every Sunday, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't organize the situation better! Of course, I have not heard back from AirTran and probably never will! I know I was not the only person to write them a letter after that day, most of the people in line said they were going to complain as well.

Now onto my reviews of each island! =) Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Lido 9234

Room #9234 Lido Deck - Nice size, great location (we didn't hear any noise from the lido area or either floor above or below us!) - and best of all, right down from the food!! We were able to just get dressed and walked right out to the buffet area, very convenient! Balcony was great, and the room was clean and quiet! Our favorite room so far on Carnival!

(5.5)
This island is so beautiful! Another one of our favorites! We did the Carnival Horseback Riding excursion on the beach. It was a lot of fun, and the beach they took us to was absolutely gorgeous - white sand and beautiful blue water! The horses were well taken care of and the ride was fairly long so it was worth the money! We also got to go in the water with them at the end if we wanted. If we ever went back here, we would visit another beach and enjoy the beauty of this island! They had a nice shopping area right off the ship with lots of shops too.

Read 804 Antigua Reviews

We did not book any excursion here either. I had researched some beaches to visit here so we had planned to visit one of the ones I looked at. Unfortunately we kind of got convinced (persuaded) by the cab driver to check out a different beach that was very pretty, but not all that big (it was very narrow). It was called Holetown Beach and was more of a "locals" beach we felt like. It was nice that it wasn't very crowded at all, but it just felt kind of "boring" almost. We had about 4 hours there and made the best of it. Some other cruisers were taken there as well and they were nice and took some pictures for us. We were bothered about 20 times to ride the damn jet skis - so we eventually caved and rented one. We did get it cheaper since I told them we only had a certain amount to pay. That was a lot of fun riding up and down the coast for 30 mins. Barbados really is a beautiful island with gorgeous beaches so do your research before going and make sure to stick to where YOU want to go!!

Read 704 Barbados Reviews

This was one of our least favorite ports, only because it is a rainforest island, not a beach island! We're beach people so that disappointed us! It really is a pretty natural island though with it's mountains reaching the clouds. We were told by other if you enjoy hiking and natural scenery it really has pretty rainforests!

We didn't book any excursions here because we're not into hiking, climbing waterfalls, or viewing historical sites all that much. We opted just to get off the ship and walk around the little town right off the pier. It's your usual roadside stands with vendors and a few nicer shops. We probably only got off the ship for about an hour or so and got right back on. We decided to make this day our "out to sea" day that you usually have on cruises (since they are none on this one). We lounged on the deck and got lunch and enjoyed the ship not being all that crowded for one day!

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

We booked another snorkeling excursion here since the St. Lucia snorkeling wasn't all that great. We were taken to Pelican Cove which had a beautiful view, but a VERY small beach. We were the only group there so it was quiet and nice! The snorkeling there was much better!! We just enjoyed the snorkeling and relaxed on the beach - just how we wanted our last day to be! We really like St. Kitts a lot!

St. Lucia is also more of a rainforest island, but does have a few really nice beaches. We booked an excursion on this day to do Ocean Kayaking and Beach Snorkel. It was a lot of fun! The tour guides were wonderful and provided refreshments after kayaking. The snorkeling wasn't all that great, but you could also either enjoy the beach or hike up a trail on Pigeon Island to Fort Rodney.

Reduit Beach is highly recommended if you go here! We heard about Jalousie (sp?) Beach before going but the amount of time it actually took to get there did not seem worth it! We were able to see the famous Pitons as the ship was getting close to the island. We had to get up really early to see this though since the ship does not dock where you can see them!

Before I start the island reviews, just note that any excursions we took we booked through Carnival. We feel more safe booking through the ship itself!

We had been to St. Thomas on our last cruise and had done Captain Nautica's Ultimate Snorkel Expedition - which was awesome! We got to snorkel with beautiful sea turtles and visit a shipwreck. This time we opted to keep it more lowkey and just get tickets to go up to Paradise Point. If you do this, you must try the Bushwhacker drink, it's SO good! I had also been to St. Thomas previously with my mom and we had done the Magen's Bay/Paradise Point excursion which I highly recommend as well. Magen's Bay is beautiful!

This port will always have a special meaning to us now... my fiance proposed to me on this cruise (11/9/09) at the top of Paradise Point in St. Thomas! It was amazing and he planned it out so well - I had NO idea it was coming =) We got lucky and went to have someone take a picture of us and they got him actually proposing so now we have the picture forever with gorgeous Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas in the background!!

Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews