Carnival Dream Cruise Review by cruisecritcal

Cruise Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 6a

My Horrific Experience with Carnival Dream two thumbs down
This is our second cruise with Carnival and again we had a bad experience.

We knew the Inspiration (we previously cruised on) was relatively older so we set out expectation very low - clean cabin, average food and some quiet time.

The Dream did not meet our expectations for being a new ship.

First of all, The sewage smell was awful!

Every day we could smell sewage throughout the ship. Second, I can't give a full review to this ship and its services because our experiences will tell you it is not needed.

So here goes: Cabin - Dirty, period. The bathroom had sewage smell, called for repair/clean up twice, never fixed.

We also had a power outage 2 times in which we were late getting to dinner on the second formal night.

Our son dropped his toy under our bed so he used a hangar to get it out, he then got the toy out, as well an opened condom package, a piece of chipped toe nail and something else disgusting that looked like rotten food.

Food and the service - The food in the dinning room was below average which is not a too big problem but overall the food was stale and disgusting and always cold. I think maybe one night we actuall all had hot food at our table. I did not have one thing that didn't taste like day old cafeteria food. This is completely unacceptable. A decent meal is not hard to achieve and shouldn't be on a cruise so expensive.

We did the open seating and the service was very slow, the average wait time was 25 minute from ordering to getting the starters. Twice, the waiter did not pour water for us (and the table next to us) until after he gave us the starters. I ordered "hand-picked" greens one night, I got spoiled black colored baby spinach - not just one but more than a dozen. I know people say you get what you pay for, that's just not what I or anyone wanted to pay for.

If you are someone with low expectations then this cruise line may be ok.

Never imagined that my Pre-Christmas vacation would be ruined this way.

Customer service: Nobody knew what was going on besides the information people and even they had a little confusion. Though it was nice to have people from all around the world (I myself am Canadian and love to be around people from different countries), A lot of them spoke little english and were hard to understand. Not one person understood one thing I asked or could carry on a simple request. Besides that the staff was rude most of the time.

I actually heard a lot of cruise staff complaining about passengers.

Waiter- the waiter was lifeless, not friendly and barely spoke to us. Came over once to check on us if we got lucky that night. The maitre d was nowhere to be seen.

Shows and entertainment: Not appropriate for all ages. They had very boring events and then some that were a bit "too" much.

Very corny and cheesy contests that were tacky and not entertaining in the least bit. I did not pay 1200 dollars to see harry chests, absolutely ridiculous. Not one event captured our interest or made us happy.

The comedy shows were entertaining but Jeff the fun dude was horrible. This guy was sooo annoying. They should of let us throw rotten tomatoes at him. He is such a loser.

Not sure if I am allowed to say this on here but I feel cheated.

I feel ripped off and these people took a grab at my money any chance they could... to communicate with someone, to get help, to have a friendly person to talk to. No courteousness whatsoever.

All i can tell people is to Please go with someone else. Anyone but Carnival.

People told me that they have been cruising for years that the quality has gone right down the tubes for carnival in the last 2 years. The ports were all nice except for Belize. The wait time was almost 2 hours to get off the boat. There were 4 other cruise lines also trying to offload people. I noticed on the tender there were no life jackets and thought that all boats are supposed ot have them. I was scared for my son since he really doens tknow how to swim and the weather in Belize was stormy that day.

The water slide that we were so excited about was closed often. On the last day, fun day at sea, they closed it for maintenance but all i could see was a man painting some stairs that go to the top. I asked the staff when it would open and they said it was closed for the day. I feel they probably could of waited to do the painting on a day at port or some other time rather than last fun day at sea.

Oh and one more thing. The medical staff was rude, and incompetent. They knew nothing about dealing with someone who had diabetes (such as myself) and I am in the process of suing them for bruising my veins because they dont know how to properly insert an intravenous catheter (IV).

I need a vacation after this week.

Publication Date: 12/23/09