Arcadia Cruise Review by Janis Ward: Cold, Cold Cold

Cold, Cold Cold

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

First time on Arcadia and really looking forward to it. First impressions on boarding, no welcome meet and greet, or shown to cabins. Cabins were very comfortable, staff very good (all Goan) Evening "shows" alternated with "guest" vocalist (not good) and Tom O'Connor (jokes very dated and targeted at women) Day time activities extremely boring and also at extra cost. Decorations for the Festive season very minimal and unusual colour of teal and silver (cool colours) without which the ship would look very plain, more like a hotel space and not a ship. Didn't feel the Christmas atmosphere that I had expected, especially having sailed with Oceana in December, whose decs were fantastic! First day on board one day only "special offers" for reduced prices to gym/spa/restaurants etc were not made aware of until next day, by which time we could not use them. Cinema only had 30 seats some of which were broken, not really good for a winter cruise. My main complaint though was having to pass the More "pub" on my way to the Dining Room or the Theatre. The doors were propped open and smoke filled the adjoining seating areas. The pub was also one of two places of alternative entertainment, which I would have liked to enjoy but because of the smoke was unable to do so. I have never been cold - chilly even on a cruise ship, wherever you sat, dining room, lounges, theatre it was really cold. Our cabin was the only place that we could enjoy comfortably. Sally Sago the Cruise director was uninspiring and I feel that she could have done more to improve the on board activities. No sail away parties, no camaraderie of previous cruises (I have experienced 14) This was on a grade of 1 -10 (10 highest) about a 6. Unless the ports of call are exceptional, I am afraid I will not choose Arcadia again. We went ashore ourselves and didn't use the excursions - glad we didn't because they were expensive at £30 (upwards) each. Going ashore on foot, most of the time with free shuttle buses saved us a lot of money - and the excursions all visited the same places we had - makes you think! Was looking forward to the Gary Rhodes Restaurant on board but the menu was uninspiring and other guests complained about the service so didn't use it. Less

Read more Arcadia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Arcadia Review >>

Cabin review: Arcadia A26

Our cabin had two single beds joined together making a large king size double that still left plenty of room to comfortably move around. A small bath with shower above made all the difference to my weary feet. A balcony with two deck chairs and table with partitions to create privacy from other balconies. A sofa bed, TV, small fridge, tea making and hairdryer all complete the furnishings. One long hanging wardrobe and two others with short hanging spaces and shelves (a safe was included). Maid service was excellent. Bedside lights, low lighting, balcony lighting and central lighting completes the picture. Oh, artwork on walls was a little strange - 2 artworks that bore no relation to each other!

(5.5)
A bit like Amsterdam, canals and architecture. Small town - walked ashore, it did have an interesting Old Town about 1 km - a good walk if you have the time. Expensive to shop

Read 52 Aarhus Reviews

Some Christmas markets and some street decorations. A lot of walking to get to places. Streets can be confusing - use the Tourist Information Centre maps to get around, the ships maps were poor black and white photocopies. Don't go to the Antiques Market (billed as the biggest in Holland) it has only hippy/ethnic stuff. Great coffee. Interesting canal system and wonky houses. Good photo oportunities. Worth visiting at least once.

Didn't go ashore here, been on previous cruise. Brugge is a lovel medieval town about 20 mins outside the port. Well worth a visit, would even go again in the summer for a stay holiday.

(5.5)
Very expensive, walked into town - a long walk but a safe one, everybody was friendly. Very cold and snowing.

Read 145 Oslo Reviews