Carnival Dream Cruise Review by SCUBACUBA: Carnival Scream opps.. Dream I'm not going to Sugar coat it.

SCUBACUBA
Member Since 2009
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Scream opps.. Dream I'm not going to Sugar coat it.

Sail Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I'm going to tell you like it is.

December 12th

Getting on the ship was easy as usual.

First thing I noticed on the Lido deck upon walking around was a terrible odor.

I thought to myself, hmm... maybe it's something outside.

WRONG.

I found out after several conversations with Spa personnel (I go to the SPA quite often when I cruise) there is an ENGINEERING FLAW IN THE SANITARY (waste) SYSTEM VENTILATION.

This brand new ship smells like poop. I'm not kidding.

*only when the wind is at a certain direction (which was most of the cruise) the sanitary system couldn't vent properly.

This foul smell was a very unsatisfactory and a daily complaint for many people.

Note: I have been cruising for 15 years. Sometimes twice a year. I have been on different cruise lines from high dollar to weekend get-aways.

If you have never been on a cruise before, you probably think it's the best thing More next to visiting the golden corral on a daily basis.

For my wife and myself, we were very disappointed in the quality of food, service, cleanliness, and behavior of the staff. It was far worse than last April when we recently cruised on the Carnival Miracle.

Food is edible at most but just terrible. If you want Orange juice, it cost $2.50 plus 15% gratuity. If you are hungry, your best option is the 24 hour pizza or ice cream. The rest of the dinning has become very limited. I would walk by the buffet areas and they would have food trays covering/blocking food that is ready to eat for several hours then all the sudden open for everyone to wait in line up to 45 min for some venues which brings me to my next point.

The new Carnival motto in my mindset is: Build the ship larger to accommodate more passengers but still have the same or smaller recreational common areas to be the same size. Hence, cramming a bunch of people into small places causing awkward and frustrating waits and at most times unavailable seating arrangements.

One other issue for the ships poor planning was that many people couldn't get off the ship in Belize due to the fact there were 4 other cruise ships. So, with a 6 hour itinerary at port, we couldn't get off the ship until almost 12:00 noon in which we decided it wasn't worth to get off and get back on for 2 hours.

One thing I did enjoy was the comedy shows. Carnival did a great job making an area for comedy for a nightly entertainment venue. Only problem is... you have to wait 20-45minuets minimum to get a seat. There are too many people.

The Cruise director Todd, was not existent for most of the cruise. I feel like the entire officer/administrative staff was filled with British/English cocky/arrogant teenagers running the ship.

The employees are overworked and VERY stressed out. I have never heard the employees complain so much about people, their job etc...

Let me share a personal incident that happened to me with regard to ship safety while in the spa area in which I had to go to the informatory.

I paid $250.00 extra to have access to the spa hot-tub, sauna, and warming chairs for the week. Well, one day my wife and I entered the area and stumbled upon a crew of maintenance personnel doing some ARC welding to a door jam for the entry to the hot-tub. I walked up and said, Hi, so I assume this is closed for today? The man said yes. Then put his welding hood down to cover his face to weld in front of my eyes in which I had been injured with "sun spots" or as the eye doctor called it "UV radiation damage to the lens of the eye. I was told to keep my eyes closed and follow up later if it got worse.

Carnival said they did the best they could. They said, "what are you complaining about? We gave you free medical exam." I am a pilot. So this is not settling very nice with me right now.

That's it. Oh and I got a letter the day of disembarkation. Thank you for choosing Carnival cruise lines. We are sorry to hear about your incident. We are always striving to improve our customer satisfaction and look forward to seeing you soon on your next Carnival cruise.

To sum it all up, I'm done. Some say I need an attorney right now for what happened to my eye. I strongly advise you stay away from these people. Carnival has become very interested in saving every penny as much as possible. I understand that from a business point of view but there are certain aspects of quality and integrity that should be kept at a standard level. My wife and I work extremely hard and deserve a relaxing vacation. Not this. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Upper

We love Belize but couldn't get off the darn ship... TOO many people. Carnival did a poor job planning with 4 other ships at Belize that day so there were not enough tenders and very poor coordination. One man told me the tender he was on had no life vest on board. He had two children that don't know how to swim so you can imagine how angry he was that Carnival goes to great lengths to make sure they contract safe operators.

Saw the ruins...

The Tulum ruins near Cozumel are much better. Still a fun day but not worth the money.

As far as port goes.... DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL....

This lame jewelry store is so ridiculous, my local jeweler blows this place away by 75%.

great stop.. We went scuba diving at a local resort. Cost us both $38 for a great day of diving.

Read 3122 Cozumel Reviews

Once again, great port. We took a cab to the west end of the island to a dive shop called "bananarama"

People were very friendly. Awesome Dive!

Read 1650 Roatan Reviews