Crown Princess Cruise Review by bond00

Crown Princess
Member Name: bond00
Cruise Date: November 2009
Cabin Category: bal
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Crown Princess: taking care of customers
We sailed Crown Princess out of Fr. Lauderdale November 7-14, taking my older (80+) in-laws along, for their first cruise (my wife and I have previously cruised 5 and 4 times, respectively), and found that Princess took wonderful care of them. My mother-in-law uses a wheelchair, except for shorter walks, transferring to and from the dinner table, etc., and my father-in-law is gluten intollerant, both of which presented challenges. Princess staff accomodated us very well, in each instance.

A wheelchair accessible balcony room was made available to my mother-in-law, and this proved very spacious, and the bathroom set-up was ideal for her needs, including a spacious shower without a rim, and plenty of room to accomodate her chair, as well as a movable ramp for their balcony. Staff were always accomodative to her needs. My only concern was a little confusion as to just who would transport her in the event of an emergency, to her muster station (my wife an I were aft, the in-laws were forward, as far as cabin placement, due to their late decision to join us). We were to ld to contact the steward or the purser, and the steward seemed a little confused about that.

Dining accomodation was excellent. Because my father-in-law is restricted on foods, and very hard of hearing, we requested the same table for just the four of us (he would have had difficulty with conversations with a larger number of people), with the same placement, at the same time, for all seven nights. The maitre' de was very obliging, on the first night, and arranged the same table near a window for the duration, with the same waiters (so we wouldn't have to explain his status each night). Both our waiter (Ferdinand) and his assistant (Nemesio) were wonderful and accomodative, once they learned of his status. Beginning the second night, they brought him gluten-free bread each meal, and each night, either the head waiter or Ferdinand would bring him the next night's menu, so he could decide ahead of time what he would like, and they would arrange gluten-free preparation or suggest an alternative, if this was not possible.

Be forewarned: to bring this about, we had notified the line well in advance of his restrictions, both on the web site and by faxing a letter, as the web site requests, to the appropriate personnel at Princess.

Both my in-laws raved about the food, as well as the service we received. My wife and I found it very good, as well. With the stringent economy, I've noticed minor cut-backs, like 4 courses instead of 5, lately, and lobster accompanied by prawns (to reduce extra helpings, I assume), but still feel that with the service and cuisine, that is a small sacrifice to make. To be honest, when I read reviews where people complain about the quality of food, whether in the main dining rooms (i've not used the specialty dining rooms.), the breakfast or lunch service, or the buffet, and note by the date and ship that we were on the same cruise, I often wonder whether or not they were in a bizzaro dimension (to use a Superman analogy). For what we paid, we were easily satisfied, overall, with Princess.

Publication Date: 12/21/09