Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by DIDISEVEN: GETTING IT RIGHT!

DIDISEVEN
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Splendour of the Seas South America & Antarctica Cruises

GETTING IT RIGHT!

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Lisbon

Splendor of the Seas is as close as it gets to the perfect layout for a ship. Everything seems to be right where it belongs...I normally hate sea days and we had plenty but I loved them all. The food couldn't be better or more plentiful. I've been on bigger and newer ships but this was just right for me. I mostly cruise on NCL (9 times) but I feel the more classy the ships become the more they are lowering the classic experience of cruising. NO formal nights or dress code...too much like a free for all-come as you are Karaoke party. This is why I decided to give Royal Caribbean a try. I loved the Dress Up and theme nights...it really helps to let new cruise patrons to learn the ropes and know what it's all about. While I can't fault the ship, the food, the staff, the entertainment or the itinerary I was saddened by the fact that Theater Etiquette has gone down the drain. When I'm in a theatre I don't like a Bar-free for all atmosphere...The constant Flash Photography was More distracting, annoying and against all entertainment union regulations but the Cruise Director waved here hand dismissively and walked away and several of the MAJORITY tried to tell her to put a stop to it. Trying to watch a show where dozens of people have both their hand fully extend over their head holding a camera with the LCD screen blazing and flashing and flashing all over the theatre as well and standing up blocking the view and casually snapping flash photo's was just too ignorant...I don't blame the unsophisticated passengers I blame the cruise director for not putting a stop to it. My other one down side is apart from NCL cruise ships don't understand the needs of the single passenger...we are not a SPARE to be stuck in any old place...perhaps we don't want to be jammed in with strangers...If two can sit at a table for four why can't one sit at a table for two....What's the difference. Be more flexible! Let us enjoy our cruise and don't force us into groups we don't blend with. Let us meet people and perhaps eventually join them. I've had too many horror situations at large tables as a single and would rather be on my own. This however was a great cruise (repositioning)Portugal to Brazil and an amazing deal...all I can say is keep up the standards...let loners be loners if they want. Thanks you Royal Caribbean. Less

Read more Splendour of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Splendour of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Splendour of the Seas 7604

Older ship so there was masses of drawers, lots of room...a bit narrow because of a square pillar holding up the ceiling at the foot of the bed so it was tight to pass through...hate showers with curtains...Shower head needed cleaning...just a drizzle...balcony OK..TV like all ships constantly repeating the same movie over and over...they need to buy a few DVDs...some like to relax in the cabin and watch a film but not the same one ten times. Bed was great...bedding was great...quite (stateroom 7604 aft) It is a room with enough closet and drawer space for two but I have been on many where it would be impossible. It's really about time ships had WiFi in all the rooms FREE!

Funchal is the cleanest place I have ever been ...immaculate...friendly...totally wonderful. Tenerife was OK but I didn't think the people were interested in tourist and found it difficult to get served in restaurants and changed three time and gave up. Brazil has a lot of potential...the glory of 80 years ago is still evident but so much restoration still to come..Recife was OK but I took a lot of photo's but wouldn't go back. I think Salvador has great potential...the architecture from bygone years is amazing but mostly in ruin...never felt safe and some passengers who went ashore the night we arrived were robbed. I was sad not to be over the moon about Rio DE Janeiro...too much poverty and deteriorating buildings...definitely not safe...the Corcovado cog wheel railway to the statue of Jesus is a must and the views impressive as is the case with Sugar Loaf...it all looks great from up high but if your like me and want to walk around and discover places this is not the place to be. The beaches at Santos were-to me better than Rio...they seemed better maintained. Sao Paulo (flight home) the city was at one time lavish like Paris but if you are into Graffiti they have managed to cover most building to a height of 30 stories...I can't image how it is done without scaffolding. Depressing poverty and people living in squalor on the streets...They have a lot to do to get ready for the Olympics. Putting the destitute to work removing Graffiti and painting building exteriors would be a start...Sadly Brazil was a disappointment...I bought a CD of 1000 photo's and seeing them makes we wonder where I was. Don't show any valuables or money and never be without a group.