Celebrity Century Cruise Review by denehls: First time cruiser-would do again

denehls
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Western Caribbean Cruises

First time cruiser-would do again

Sail Date: December 2009

Neither my husband or I, or my parents (in their 70s, with some limited mobility) had ever cruised before. It was a wonderful trip! We sailed out of Miami (my parents stayed at the Embassy Suites near the airport prior to sailing, and got the "cruise package" with transfers to the port). We flew in the same day and got an easy cab ($24 from the airport to the port).

We spent the extra money for the concierge level and would do it again. For the extra $150 per cabin, the complementary champagne (and maybe other extras, I don't know if everyone got fruits and snacks and their water pitcher refilled during the day, turn-down service with chocolates, etc) and the balcony view was well worth it. Treat yourself if you can! Literally, my favorite part of the trip was our cabin stewards asking "Did you have a nice day, Madam?" It made me feel like royalty!

I didn't take advantage of any of the spa services, but for no charge, I loved the fitness facility (Take a More set of headphones with you to use on the cardio machines) and the AquaSpa cafeteria (open for breakfast and lunch with almost no waiting and wonderful health choices!).

The food, the food, the food! Eating in the grand resaurant for dinner is really a chance to eat a 5-star + meal every night for five nights. The waitstaff is top notch!

We went to each and every show in the Celebrity theater and loved it! Singing, dancing, comedy. You know that these folks really put their hearts into putting on a good performance; it shows!

Never had to wait for a deck chair, and could go around the pool, or even to close to the stern for a great view and lots of quiet.

Lady luck wasn't with us in the casino, but the staff was professional.

We did not book our shore excursions through the cruise line, but if my non-internet savvy parents had been traveling by themselves, I would have insisted that they do. You probably could not go wrong with any of the choices.

Would recommend taking advantage of the opportunity to dress with a style. Active wear is fine during the day (t-shirts and shorts), but after dinner, plan to wear dress/skirts and slacks/jackets (not necessarily with a tie, except on formal night).

I don't know if we will be "cruisers," but if we went on one again, it would be with Celebrity. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

We rented a private charter for the four of us ($400 US) with Cayman Outrage Ecotours. We got to Stingray City before anyone else (My parents did not get in the water due to difficulty getting on/off the boat (would have been the same for any boat), and our guide, John Michael, was knowledgeable and helpful.

He took us to a private beach, where we all waded on the sand bar and looked for shells, etc, and then we return home through the Mangrove channels. He talked just enough to make it interesting, and give us information, but also let us just enjoy the view.

We walked through Georgetown a bit, but the shops all seemed to look the same. However, it was MUCH better than Jamaica and I can see returning to the Caymans someday.

The local vendors have the potential to make this very unpleasant. Even sitting at a resaurant, a guy was wading in our water-view trying to sell us things. That said, I think if you go with a tour, you will be very pleased. We went to Mystic Mountain for the bobsled, zip line. It was pricey, but if you take your swimwear/towel, you could make a full day (4-5 hours) of it. My parent used Traverse Jamaica Tour group to see the White River and one of the plantation homes, and said they really liked the White River.