Celebrity Century 5

“Western Med. & Transatlantic Adventure -- Fantastic Staff”
Cruise review of Celebrity Century

MESH
Member Since 2006
111 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

This was our 10th cruise with Celebrity. Being cruisers we did a back-to-back cruise (Western Med. for 7 days and Transatlantic for 14 days).

The service for dining staff to stateroom attendants was the best we have had. I have nothing but praise for these people. Although I will be mentioning some negatives, overall the cruise was outstanding.

We truly enjoyed the buffets and the Aqua Spa Cafe for healthy eating. The food was well prepared and definitely hot. A few people complained they line is using insulated containers and at times the coffee is cold. Our travel companions were outstanding, and we agreed that except foritems such as New York Sirloin Strip Steak (red meat), which was tough, the entrees were great. Our suggestions on evaluation rated everything about the dining experience as excellent, except for standard red meats, which we rated as tough.

By staying on Deck 5 near guest relations, the cabin halls are extra wide, which is More really great for using a wheelchair. My mom has to use the wheelchair, because of her balance. Everyone treated us like Royalty and the staff knew our names by the end of the first week.

Entertain would be what one would expect on a ship of this size. For the most part we were interested in the ports and relaxing -- not in the entertainment.

Our stateroom attendants as mentioned were unbelievable. Although the stateroom was only 160 sq. feet, the layout is excellent. We had more than enough storage for two individuals. With the airlines charging for overweight and extra bags, we packed light and instead used the laundry service on board.

My mother had to see the ship's doctor. Nothing serious. We were impressed on how everything was handled, and the price is about what you pay for in the states. Because we have trip insurance, we of course will be able to get this money back.

Supposedly there was suppose to be Valet Service at Miami. Since my mom uses a wheelchair, we did everything with Celebrity. Our reasoning was that all we would have to do is place the luggage outside the stateroom on the last night and it would eventually arrive in Milwaukee our destination. We were informed on the ship it was not available for that cruise. We were not happy as my travel agent checked with Celebrity a week before we left, and we were told it was available. In addition some of the ports are not great for wheelchairs, but that was to be expected. On the excursions, I wish there would be more detailed information on disabilities and wheelchair use. Because I had been at some of the ports, I knew which would work out with a wheelchair such as Pisa and Gibraltar.

The guest speakers during the Transatlantic were first rate.

I would definitely go with Celebrity again and am planning another back-to-back cruise (Israel and Egypt followed by a Transatlantic). Considering the cost of airfare, I figure cruising across the Atlantic is the way to go. Less

Overall Ratings

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Inside Stateroom

105033
I would highly recommend Deck 5 for individuals using wheelchairs, because of the extra wide hallways that lead to the stateroom.

Beautiful city to tour and view. Since I am mainly interested in ancient history, I would say it has a lot of great places to visit.
Read 1308 Barcelona Reviews

Really don't care about this port; others loved it.
Read 286 Cannes Reviews

Port
Once again I can think of nicer ports; others thought it was great.
Read 228 Genoa Reviews

Definitely not wheelchair friendly; however, there is so much to see and do with the Vatican, Imperial Rome, and I can just go on. I could spend a week there.

Published 12/20/09

Helpful? Thank MESH
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?