Disney Magic Cruise Review by tower

Member Name: tower
Cruise Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 9A
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
        3-6 5+
        7-9 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Disney Magic's Tour to Tortola, St. Thomas & Castaway Cay
Just got back on Dec 12 from a fantastic Disney Cruise! The weather was great, the service was very attentive and the staff was very friendly. This was our 5th cruise, 2nd with kids and 1st with Disney. It took a while to figure a few things out as Disney does a few things differently, but with the guidance of others I met on Disboards.com, it was as smooth as silk.

We got to the port early after not taking the Disney shuttle. We went with Tiffany Limo service out of Orlando and shared the cost with another family, filling the van to 10 people and saving a fair dollar per head. The Disney process was very organized and they guided us through very well. By the time we were finished in one area, we were directed to the next location for pictures and then for child registration for their various camps. By the time we were finished, along with a few photo ops with Mickey and Goofy, we were signalled that it was time for us to board the Magic! Once aboard, we followed the crowd to Parrot Cay restaurant to enjoy our first Diseny cruise lunch. (It is very hard not to go overboard with all that great food in front of us) After enjoying the food, we made our way to our staterooms and our luggage was waiting for us. I took the kids to their camps while mom unpacked. Soon, it was time for the mandatory muster call, then off to the launch party on the top decks! After the party, we made our way to our assigned restaurant for the night and met our dinner companions. This was something we pre-arranged after chatting with several people online so it was nice to talk to people I had already gotten to know over the past year. Post dinner lead to the first of 7 great shows in the Walt Disney Theatre, and then made our way to our stateroom to prepare for our first day at sea.

Day 2 and 3 were basically the same as they were fun-filled days at sea. The kids enjoyed themselves, and I'm glad I brought my laptop so I could empty my camera's memory card a few times over that week. Lots of character appearances and we hardly saw the kids, unless we wanted to.

Tues and Thurs were Tortola and St. Thomas. We took a kayaking excursion to Peter Island while in Tortola, but stayed aboard in St. Thomas as I'm not much of a shopper. Thursday was more fun on a day at sea followed by a private dinner in the adults-only Palo restaurant while the kids were cared for in their camps. It was great to spend time with the most important person in my life.:)

Friday was at Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. (Formerly Gorda Cay before they bought it). The private adults-only beach was a nice break, but we later moved to the family beach and took the kids out of their programs in order to spend some family beach time together before going back to the ship to pack :( We put our bags out after dinner for collection, and utilized the Disney shuttle to the airport. We did not see our luggage again until we arrived at Buffalo, NY airport. No worries about the baggage at all! Very convenient!

While aboard, we booked another cruise with 10% off and $200 onboard credit per cabin. Can't wait now for December 2011! My only regret was that I booked a Carnival cruise on their Dream a few months prior to this one for December 2010. Had I waited, I would have booked another Disney cruise instead. Mind you, the Carnival Dream was in port when we docked in Port Canaveral and it really dwarfed the Disney Magic. The Carnival Dream is one HUGE SHIP! Hope we don't get lost on it too often next year!

Publication Date: 12/16/09