Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Round Rock Cruiser: COSOL TOURS SAVES NCL

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Southern Caribbean Cruises

COSOL TOURS SAVES NCL

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was the 6th time that we have had the privilege to travel with this incredible group of people but this was the 8th cruise overall for DW and I. It was the first for my Sister. Over the years my DW and I have cruised on Carnival, Princess, RCCL, and now NCL. We do get off in all ports and tend to stick to shopping and gambling where available. We normally do not book excursions choosing instead to hire a local cab to show us the island or city. With that being said let's begin the review.

EMBARKATION:

This was by far the best embarkation I have ever experienced. We arrived at the port at 11:10 and were met by the porters. We tipped the shuttle van driver, tipped the porter and headed inside the terminal. Since we had no carry on luggage we walked right through security and straight up to the check in desk where there were no lines to be seen. 3 minutes at the desk and we are heading upstairs to the boarding area. We had group 11 tags and were More called before we could even sit down. Quick photo and we are handed a glass of champagne onboard the Dawn. It doesn't get any faster than that kids.

Due to the prior trip being cancelled, we were able to go directly to our cabin where we found the first disappointment of the trip. This was the smallest cabin I have ever seen. We went with the inside cabin due to the fact we are going out again in May on the Carnival Spirit to Alaska. I could not believe how little room we had to work with. We went up to my Dad's cabin to see the balcony cabin and it was just as small as ours. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable with nice linens. We figured that this was a minor problem and no need to dwell on it.

Went up to the Garden Cafe for lunch and quickly found out why everyone dogs NCL for the food. The food was cold and tasteless. The lines were formed in a way that put people right in the way of the walkway. This would not be the last design flaw on this ship that made life a little less pleasant.

My main issues with NCL are with the service and the nickle and dime approach. The dining room menu is a joke. The service is nothing to write home about. Food quality is average at best. NCL is obviously trying to steer cruisers into the fee based eateries. Well it worked. We ate at Cagney's 3 nights and Teppanyaki 1 night.

I will be heading back to Carnival and staying there!!!!!! Goodbye NCL forever.

First 2 sea days were nothing to write about. Normal stuff. Let's get to the ports. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 9523

Shopping was close and convenient but the prices were not that great. Hit the King's Casino near the dock and had a good time. This was not a bad port as it did offer plenty of shopping, eating, and entertainment.
Read 806 Antigua Reviews

Great shopping close and convenience. Good prices. Nice Casino.

This is where the trip was made. I booked a tour with Cosol Tours back in May for 7 of us after reading all of the great reviews on this site. The morning started out with my Step-Mother needing to go back upstairs to get her medication. Wife and I went down to meet the tour and found the group with no problem. I informed the nice lady that most of the people in my group would rather not take the boat trip to jalouse beach due to their age and various health conditions. The lady said it was no problem and we could hang out at the van or they would find something else for us to do during this time. As we were waiting for the rest of our group the lady made a phone call and a gentlemen comes over and says that he has just dispatched another van just for us since we did not want to hit the beach. After the group assembled we crossed the street to meet a man named C. J.. We loaded into the van and we were off. There was plenty of room and the van was clean and well maintained. CJ started to tell us all about this wonderful island as we took the winding road up through the mountains. We made many stops along the way for pictures. At the very first stop we were paid a visit from Cosol himself. He shook hands with everyone in our van and asked if we were pleased with the accommodations so far. We were instructed to eat and drink as much as we could.

The tour lasted 6 hours and we saw everything there was to see. We ate and drank all that we could consume. Sister was feeling no pain from the rum punch and local beer.

There is much I did not mention but I will say that this tour was the best that I have ever been on. This man really knows how to run a business and he could show NCL something about customer service. I honestly suggest that if you go to St. Lucia you need to book a tour with Cosol Tours. You will not be disappointed.

Again, Shopping was non existent. The shopping guide on board said to skip this port as well. We walked and returned to the ship. Another wasted port day.
Read 502 Tortola Reviews