Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by napping16: Beware There Is a Catch Royal Carribean Much Better!!

napping16
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Beware There Is a Catch Royal Carribean Much Better!!

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: Bahamas

This was our first cruise with Norwegian and never again! We traveled on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to the Caribbean and loved it.. we felt as if we were in paradise the whole time.

However, we are very, very disappointed with Norwegian Sky. The inside cabins were smaller then Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. The inside state rooms need an upgrade; shower was smaller then I have ever seen in a stateroom, shower did not drain well so water backed up when you showered, t.v was a old white box t.v that only got a few channels with a bad picture, and looked liked it was on it's last leg, beach towels both nights had brown stains on them and we had to ask for new ones which were not that better. We had to stand in line at customer relations the first night because the remote did not work, a guy came up and fixed the remote later, however, the next night it did not work again so we went back to customer relations. The staff member at the desk stated in a very rude tone that More the remote was not broken and accused us of pushing the wrong button on the remote causing it to need to be re-set! The staff member mumbled he would send someone up again to fix the remote...you have got to be kidding me I thought to myself. He was very rude to us.

Food choices in room service and the dining rooms were limited compared to celebrity and royal caribean, the chicken and fish we had in the dining room was dry, the desserts were not very good either (I HAVE HAD BETTER DESSERTS AT A LOCAL STARBUCKS OR GROCERY STORE) The free style concept is a nice idea, however, what they do not tell you when you book is that there is often a wait to get into the dinning rooms. Every time we went to the dining room we were given a pager..yes a pager! Just like at home at your local Red Lobster! LOL

The service was not very good in the dinning rooms. If you are familiar with seated dining you get the same waiter every time and they only have a certain number of tables at each seating. With Free Style the waiters are often "slammed" with people and they can not possibly provide the same customer service and attention you would get with seated dining style. I never got the tea we asked for at the end of our meal one night, and finally just gave up and left. The couple next to us ordered two margaritas and waited and waited. They flagged down the bar attendant and reminded him. When their drinks finaly came the order was all wrong. This couple was also expressing their disatifaction with the food. By the way if you order the baby shrimp appetizer you will laugh..the baby shrimp are like little shrimp you find in a cup of noodles!

We ate in the French speciality restaurant for my husband's birthday,and the whole meal took about two hours as service was very slow, and the food was not much to rave about. Waitress was friendly, however, just to slow. I have had better food and service at my local seafood place at home! The bill came to 90.00 because they do not tell you that only some of the entrees are included in the 15.00 per person fee and many of the entrees they charge an additional 10.00 on top of the 15.00! The buffet breakfast was small, however, the best meal of the day! Lunch and dinner were the same at the buffet, lots of fried food, overly cooked vegetables, and it looked like they took some of the left overs from the night before and made some dishes that looked like curries or sauces with meat in them.

The best thing about the food.. the fresh fruit.

Other issue is the tender to shore. The line getting off the ship at their private Bahama island to get onto the tender boats is insane. Who wants drama while they paid good money and want to relax. I have had to tender before to shore on other cruises and the process was organized and quick. Passengers were packed like cattle in the hallway, the line wrapped around upstairs and to the other floor!~ Staff made no attempt to control the line or help organize it and never apologized..it was horrible. Passengers were asking each other where the line ended etc...Elderly people with canes and young children were forced to stand and wait and wait to get on a tender boat. When we got to the private island they did not have enough chairs, there is a 13.00 charge just to use their old plastic floating mats!

Lastly, I left my jewelry box inside the desk drawer. I immediately called the same day we got back to Miami and was told it takes 10 days for the ship to respond to my request and look into the stateroom and retrieve my jewelry box! I called three days later and the ship has never responded to my lost and found request. I am really upset because there was a special necklace my daughter made for me and I do not know if I will ever get it back. All they have to do is go up to the cabin and retrieve it..and they have not done that. Very bad way to treat former passengers and inconsiderate! Also some cruise lines you tip according to the service and the staff really work hard for their tips. We never even met our stateroom attendant! What is worse Norweign charges you 12.00 per person per day on your account whether the service is good or not. My advice..stick with Royal Caribbean staff is much nicer, more professional, and overall service and the food is fabulous! Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>