Carnival Dream Cruise Review by paradise2009

Cruise Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Shore Excursions 5+

The Dream was not a Dream
We booked the first cruise out of Port Canaveral thinking WOW...brand new ship should be an exceptional cruise. We loved the idea of 9 days and 5 ports but that also did not go as expected. First of all the ship and our room were beautiful, the destinations we stopped were also awesome as were the excursions we did. HOWEVER....the service, entertainment (or lack of), and the food were all very disappointing. Our room steward spent more time out on the deck at the front of the ship then he did answering his phone or taking care of simple tasks. My bad experience started right away with him, I asked for a simple thing to happen...to please keep the champagne bottle I had with me on ice the entire time so that when we decided to drink it it would be chilled. This simple request was never met. Then the lack of entertainment, unless it was a scheduled show in the overcrowded theater (too small)you had to get there a good 45 minutes before the show just to get a seat. other than the scheduled show, the dancers and entertainers were non existent around the ship. They had a deck party, no one was there to kick it off, get the crowd excited nothing so of course it was a dud. The cruise director and assistant were more interested in their girlfriends who were on the ship then the paying guests. Todd the cruise director needs to go aboard RC oasis of the Seas and take a lesson from Ken the cruise director as to what a cruise director should look and act like. The food in all areas was adequate at best...reminded me more of cafeteria or Golden Corral like food...nothing special. Even the Steakhouse steaks the first night we went were dry, the filet was much better. The only good service we found aboard was at the steakhouse or in Tatianas section in the Crimson restaurant.

Also my husband I are in our 40's...the average age on the ship seemed to be 70+, a lot of rude seniors. The elevators were not able to handle all the passengers at busy times, lines were long getting into the comedy club (comedians were very good), the worst of all was Carnival allows its passengers to have free will to smoke anywhere they want including the inside of their cabins...all of them except a small group of spa suites!! Can you believe this, in 2010 when smoking is so limited in the rest of the world some poor sole will get the next room on this ship after someone smoked 5 cartons of cigarettes in their room...and let me tell you they were all chain smokers aboard it was awful even in the open deck around the pool you could not walk into the gathering restaurant without walking thru a cloud of smokers. If this would have been disclosed on the phone I would not have gone aboard. Thinking this ship and service would at least equal our Disney and Royal C experiences I was truly disappointed in what I saw. I have cruised 10+ times and I would have to be offered the greatest deal to even consider another Carnival cruise...the people who cruise carnival over and over and have never tried another line don't know what they are missing!! I almost forgot, the captain did not know that the ship wouldn't fit in the port in San Juan, so instead of stopping there we had another day at sea...don't you think you would know this was a problem in advance? If this is Carnivals best ship now, I would have cringed on any other of their fleet...carnival followers try RC you won't regret it!!

Publication Date: 12/15/09